Caryota maxima

Veitchia sp

no idea

some palm art

faux fossil

Comments (13)

• us_marine
    11 years ago

Everything looks great! :) The art work is pretty cool too. Your coco is getting big! How much growth are you seeing this year?

- US_Marine

• ericthehurdler
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks!
    the coco is growing very fast! since this time last year it has grown 6 fronds so i guess i can average that to a frond every 2 months.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Great pics! I like the artwork and coco a lot! The succulent frame should fill out nice and all the potted palms look really nice!
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• james760
    11 years ago

great looking palms especially that coconut! ive always wanted to try & germinate one but i have so many palms that am taken care of mostly hardier ones, one day ill have me a coconut palm! is it a dwarf? where are u in nor cal?

• ericthehurdler
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks james, I'm in healdsburg about 60 miles north of san francisco. I'm pretty sure its a dwarf gold malayan

• andyandy
    11 years ago

Looks great, that coconut looks awesome. Typically when can you take it out for the summer and when do you have to bring it in.

• us_marine
    11 years ago

Thats pretty good growth :) I get about that much as well and I live in the hot and very dry valley! lol

I think mine is on about 4 full fronds since Jan 1st of this year. Thats rounding up the opening spear it has now and the opening spear it had since the begining of this year to make the math easy. And I also think it is a Golden Malayan.

Good luck Eric! Your coco look awesome!

- US_Marine

• ericthehurdler
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@andyandy i actually bring the coconut indoors every night so it never gets temps below 60f. Which is probably overkill but its a good form of weightlifting lol.

@usmarine did you see the post on palmtalk about the santa ana coconut? the guy is growing the coconut outdoors for 5 years in pure sand with black rock on top of the soil to keep the heat. looks like a good method for coco survival in california.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Didnt notice the coconut palm, it looks great! Probably a golden malayan, I also have a golden malayan. For me, the tall varieties are better in pots and even (very slightly) more cool tolerant, but they are both great palms. Luckily coconut palms are happy here during the summer months, just the time indoors are when they can be trouble, but they are worth the effort, especially at a young age when they are still growing out of the coconut!
    A few nights in the 60s shouldnt hurt coconut palms. I take mine out in early May so they usually see a few nights in the 50s before nights in the 60s and eventually 70s come)
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Just looking through your photos, your "no idea" looks like a Ptychosperma. Maybe elegens or even macarthurii, but a few of them do look fairly similar.

• ericthehurdler
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@tropicbreezent- i was thinking the same thing but the problem is the size of the seed is much larger than any Ptychosperma so i was thinking maybe a ptychococus but then the seed i had didn't have the pitted ridges that are needed for ptychococus. im getting close to figuring it out!
    The bottom left seed is the one in question

• us_marine
    11 years ago

I leave mine out as long as temps are 70f+ for highs, and 50f+ for lows. Even 50f's won't hurt a coconut palm as long as the days are getting warm and you don't water too often. Its when it dips below 70f's for highs that it starts to get bad, at least over here in the west.But I think thats also pretty much anywhere. Just look at all the places out of the tropics that they have been known to grow outside like South Florida and the extreme Southern part of Texas. Average winter highs and lows are just about 70f/50f.

And yup I read that post :) I think thats pretty cool. There are actually quite a few other coconut palms in cali. The biggest and oldest is the famous NewPort Beach coco. Has been there over 20 years. I'm thinking that in years to come we will see more and more coco's in cali. I just can't see that many being nothing more than flukes.

- US_Marine

• Jeff21
    11 years ago

Hey guys,
    I am new to this forum but not my love for palm trees and coconut palms in particular. I have read alot of what you all have posted over several years in the past month to get up to speed. I thought I was a rare breed with my almost obsession for palms. Pushing the limits of where tropical palms and plants grow is something that has interested me my entire life. Its good to see there are others who can appreciate how difficult it is to grow cocos outside their natural habitat. I won't go into too much detail at this point but its my goal to be the first person to grow a coconut palm to a point where it fruits in Arizona. Marine, I have read a lot of your posts, thanks for the info...

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm