Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
us_marine

Palm id and questions

us_marine
11 years ago

When I have time to upload the pics I'll post them as soon as possible. But what are all the "green crown shaft" palms, especially those that can survive z9b &10a(in micro-climates) in Cali's central valley? I see a couple up under canopy doing pretty well. And one that looks kinda like them that isnt doing as great but not under canopy.

I believe they are King palms. What is the cold hardiness of them? When I look it up each site rates them differently.

Thanks,

- US_Marine

Comments (13)

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

There are several different types of King Palms, most of them will do fine by you and survive temperatures into the 20s. King palms are really common california palms, I saw them a lot when I was in San Diego. There are other crownshafting palms as well. One of my favorite indoor ones are Solitare palms, but they will do well outdoors as well in partial sun and especially in shade.
    -Alex

• ericthehurdler
    11 years ago

your most likely talking about the king palm, since it is one of the most common crown shaft palms in the california. I've heard they usually survive around 28f but anything below that is pushing it.
    you could also be thinking about Rhopalostylis sapida, a palm native to new zealand. Its slightly more cold hardy but can't take the heat of the central valley.

• us_marine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm thinking King Palm for this first set. Its under heavy canopy, our summer heat shouldnt affect them much under it. And because of the canopy it shouldn't get below 30f on most winters if it even freezes at all.

{{gwi:1148634}}

{{gwi:1148636}}

This second set of pics I am not so sure about. I'm pretty sure its not a majesty. I see quite a few and some are pretty big.

{{gwi:1148638}}

{{gwi:1148639}}

- US_Marine

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

First looks like an Archontophoenix alexandrae (alexander palm). King palms are also in the Archontophoenix family.

Second palm Im not positive about but I have definitely seen it before. The name might come to me if I think about it!
    -Alex

• ericthehurdler
    11 years ago

second is a dypsis lutescens

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

The first is more likely Archontophoenix cunninghamiana, they aren't as cold sensitive as A. alexandrae.

The second looks more like Phoenix roebelenii, the leaflets look too fine for Dypsis lutescens. As well, the D. lutescens often (not always) has more of a yellowish green leaf.

• ericthehurdler
    11 years ago

well the palm to the left of the Dypsis is a definitely a Phoenix robellini

• catkim
    11 years ago

The palm to the right of the Phoenix roebellenii is defintely not a Dypsis. It could be a tortured and malnourished King palm.

• us_marine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Whatever palm they are in the first set of pics they are pretty nice. I like them.
    And the palm to the right in the 2nd set of pics I really have no clue what it is. I don't think anyone really takes care of it. The weeds near by are all dead so I dont think it gets much water. Which isnt a good thing were it is. Its pretty much in spot where it gets a lot of summer sun and being surrounded by rocks etc it has to get hot.

- US_Marine

• ericthehurdler
    11 years ago

oops, if its another king palm then its a great example of the variation between how the same palm species can look in different growing conditions.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

I think there should have been numbers on the palms, LOL. In the last lot of photos the palm on the right does look like a bad specimen of Archontophoenix. Looks like it's up against a white masonary wall and on dark gravel/pebbles. The splitting trunk could be from too much cold, and other times it gets too much heat/exposure from its location. So possibly getting "the worst of both worlds".

• Sara Gallup
    11 years ago

Recently inherited an overgrown & neglected mostly succulent / cactus garden with my new house. Found this guy after clearing out a large section of aloe and/or agave that was past the point of no return. I am a former apt dweller and am new to this whole gardening thing (but loving it so far), so any help would be awesome:) Thanks!

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

not a palm, but sometimes called a 'bottle palm'... it is a Beaucarnea recurvata, a succulent related to the Agaves.. .very easy to grow and hard to kill.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor