Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andyandy_gw

shaping up to be worst summer ever

andyandy
10 years ago

2004 is the year I bought my first palm. it was not the warmest of summers, 2009 was also a cool one but 2013 takes the cake. Except for a couple of weeks ago when the average high was in the high 80s for about 10 days it has turned fall like here Literally, (felt like October Monday). it was only in the 60s this weekend and rained a lot. Chicago and Milwaukee set records Saturday for the coldest high temperate for that day. Rainy and low 70s again today. All growth on my palms has stopped. My garden (tomatoes, hot peppers, and beans have almost stopped. There is not one forecasted high in the 80s for the next ten days. its too bad we've had a few hot summers in a row.

Comments (8)

• chachacharlie
    10 years ago

Summer here in L.A has been on the cool side as well. June we nice, sunny weather, but July...just awful, both months below average temps, lots of fog rolling in from the Pacific, very mild temps (low 70s). I read somewhere August was going to be toasty, let's hope so. August-October are always warm here in L.A so hopefully some warmth will kick in real soon! Good luck to you too!

• wetsuiter
    10 years ago

I'm diggin the mild July. I do not need temps above 85! So nice not to need the a/c! We've even gotten rain this summer, so everything is lush and green and palms are perfectly happy with high 70s into low 80s too.

• andyandy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'd be happy with high 70s but mid-60s-low 70s in late July is depressing, especially when it's cloudy and rains every day.

• User
    10 years ago

Solar noon and it is dark outside! Big rain coming. I prefer a wet climate but enough is enough. We need sun, moderate temps (not 100 with 87 lows), a breeze, some big puffy clouds, the ocassional local thunderstorm that lasts 15 minutes then back in the pool (not, let's finish that ark for the flood)...you know 'Summer'. Extended looks 'normal' in the 80's but I am sure the weird weather will continue into Fall.

• chachacharlie
    10 years ago

It's 10:23am here in L.A and it's currently 65 degrees with WHITE FOGGY SKIES. We're having June gloom in July and it sucks.

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

I feel your pain also! Today was really dark here because of the rain. High temp was 74, average high is 86F. Like Nj said, it was a dark day here too. I had the lights on around the house at 3pm. It's not even that dark during the winter at that time! Nicer weather is going to return here starting tomorrow, but temperatures will remain below average and the humidity is going to be really low. Very comfortable weather, but not perfect for tropical plant growing!
    -Alex

• williamr
    10 years ago

This and last summer have overall been nice and wet, which often keeps temps a bit more tolerable, though humid. It is nice to have a nice normal summer rainy season pattern around here and not hot, droughty conditions interspersed with periods of normal rain. The car temp read 71F at the end of a particularly heavy thunderstorm last week. Everything is green and thriving.

• miketropic
    10 years ago

KY has been about the same except for the lows..we had a low of 55 the other morning and most mornings as of late have only been around 60..the day temps are staying in the mid 80's but the nights are just to cool. hoping aug. brings in some real heat