Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Multi-trunked Palm with Fronds?

Posted by KendraSchmidt none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 14, 12 at 16:56

Hi GW!

I went to the store today and saw a palm there, but I've forgotten its name. It had three trunks growing out of one pot, out of what SEEMED to be one root ball. The trunks were curved in each direction, and they had some nice texture to them.

The foliage seemed frond-like. Can someone please help me to find out the name of this tree? It was so beautiful. I thought it started with a "C" (the botanical name, that is), but I"m not positive.

Please help me remember, GW'rs!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Multi-trunked Palm with Fronds?

Usually when I see this at stores, read as Big Box Stores (ie Home Depot or Lowes), they are dwarf date palms, phoenix robellini. It's possible that what you saw was something different, but this is the only palm I have seen in the stores with triple trunks.

o

Thank you, Leekle. I don't believe this is the tree, unfortunately. I believe the tree I saw today had fan-like fronds (similar to that of a sabal minor, but softer), I believe. It's quite beautiful, though, if I could have it in a Zone 8a environment, I'd even look into the Phoenix roebelenii. Thanks for trying Leekle, hopefully others will be able to chime in with the name.

o

Nope, dollars to donuts it was Chamerops Humilis, otherwise known as European Fan Palm. I've seen many very nice ones, even the blue variety at Home Depot this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Beach Weather

o

Yes. Home Depot seems to have cornered the market on Mediterranean Fan Palms.

o

LagoMar, that's it!! Thank you so much for your help!! So glad to have the name again, thanks!

o

It also could be a Chinese Fan Palm tree. they look kinda like the Med.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here