Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21934719

Which palms have you spent years to find?

User
12 years ago

So maybe there was always a palm that you wanted to add to the collection, but could never seem to acquire. Maybe you grew it at one time but then it died and you've been trying to replace ever since. I thought of this topic as a posting because years ago I had a gorgeous Pandanus veitchi (I know, they're not palms--but they are close kin). Anyway, this thing grew and grew and eventually formed its characteristic stilt roots as it tried to lift itself out of any pot used to hold it captive. I had to have a bedroom corner dedicated to its tropical massiveness. It would eagerly propagate itself constantly by sending up robust pups--stick them in a pot of sandy soil and you've started a new colony of Pandanus. I gave the rooted pups out to friends and acquaintances who would marvel at this tropical, Polynesian wonder and how easy a houseplant it was. Okay, so that was a few decades ago. People move (some die), friends and acquaintances come and go, eventually my mother plant died and I did not have any offspring (big mistake). Pandanus would eventually DISAPPEAR from the houseplant trade (and my growing private collection)--I don't even recall seeing them sold in South Florida nurseries (and I think I must have stopped in every Lowe's and HD between Miami and Key West). I think they went out of style because contact with the spines on the leaves can result in some skin irritation (but so can cactus and they're still around). The ones being sold on eBay I would come to learn were not the same species, or did not have the characteristic spines, cream-colored variegation or even robust growth and hardiness, as the variety with which I was familiar. The plant I used to grow even acquired nostalgic value. So, I was just thrilled when I got home today and found one very healthy, cream-color variegated, spiny specimen. Only, NOW can I spend the weekend in 'my own private Hawaii'. So, which palms (or related kin) have been obsessed in acquiring?

Comments (13)

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is a humorous look and nostalgic look at plants and other things that have disappeared from the modern world;

http://plantsarethestrangestpeople.blogspot.com/2010/01/chuck-cunningham-pandanus-veitchii-and.html

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Oreophilus,Takil and Manipur in "larger" sizes.

These have always been tough to find in the states.

Just happy to have real Takil seedlings now as these
    have not even become available until a few years ago!

I think they will easily prove to be the hardiest Trachy.

• butiaman
    12 years ago

Trachycarpus fortunei x wagnerianus 5 to 7gal.size.I looked for 3yrs and finally found one for sale in the U.S. at a reasonable price.I bought a 5gal.for a very good price.You get the best of each parent plant in one plant.The fronds are stiffer than fortuneis.They hold up to strong wind and hard rain with no problems.There as cold hardy as a fortunei,and in my opinion look much better.
    Randy

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I always wanted a betel nut palm, but I left it outside during an extremely dry october day, and that was the end of it unfortunately. Maybe I'll try them again when I live in the tropics!
    I've also been looking like crazy for a nice sized variegated shell ginger. Im sure nursuries in the south have them all over! I look for other plants on and off as well and I would love to be able to afford to have a nice bromelaid collection!
    I always wanted a Panadanus, but they are so expensive off of ebay. Maybe some day I'll find one of those as well! I was happy to see all the ones in Disney World and Universal were absolutely untouched by the cold!
    -Alex

• HardyPalmFreak
    12 years ago

Definitely TAKIL.

• garyfla_gw
    12 years ago

Hi
    Probably my favorites are palms of the genus Licuala but if it's not L. grandis almost impossible to find and even harder to culture lol Another is the genus Johannestijmannia. After struggling a few years with them it becomes obvious why you don't see them in spite of their beauty lol As you get older (wiser??)you appreciate the easier ones MUCH more lol gary

• jacklord
    12 years ago

I have not conducted an exhaustive search, but I would like a decent sized Mazari Palm. I purchased a small one from a nursery that shall remain nameless. It arrived in very sickly shape. The sellers expended a huge amount of energy insulting my intelligence but finally gave me a refund. Poor thing croaked within 2 weeks.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

TZ, I saw variegated, shell ginger (Alpinia, I believe the genus is), being sold at Pathmark. I do see them from time to time at the nurseries. I got mine off of eBay. They grow relatively fast. The one shipped to me was a nice clump and not expensive.T he Pandanus I just got on eBay was also not expensive (under 20.00 for a health specimen grown in Hawaii.Had a Betel once, it did not last but would give it another chance.

Garyfla., I have one Licualia (it's a ramsayi). Does not seem to really grow very much--don't know what it's problem is as all the others are growing happily. PS., Yes, there is good reason why the more common palms are...common (they're easy to cultivate, attractive, and relatively fast growing). But if you like some of the more exotic, try some of the Pritchardias. My P. hildebrandii grows well. (Fijian fans though are hard outside the rainforest.)

Butia, so now we need to look for wagnerianus x fortunei--happy hunting!

Jim Hardy, now I have to research Manipur and Takil.

On a final note, I have a palm growing nicely and for the life of me, don't remember where it came from and more frustratingly, can't tell if it's a Butia or Jubacea (Chilean wine)--I'll post a pic later and you guys can debate its identity.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Randy

I had a nice Takagii but lost it to winter...maybe
    it could have recovered but it was cored out too low to the ground!

I put a Takil in it's spot.I also planted 2 others.(-:

Back to Fort x Wags...they are really excellent little palms!

Mine has spear-pulled the last 2-3 winters,interestingly"it"
    and the Fortunei I planted in Nov 2007 didn't pull that winter!

Anyway,I agree,beautiful palms.
    Hopefully mine will get some size in the next few years...
    it's recovering nicely now-the leaves are gorgeous!

njoasis

Oreophilus & Manipur(I guess you could add Latisectus and
    Martianus)will probably never be planted out by me-just
    not very hardy but part of my Trachy collection.

The reason I say Takil could/should/would be the hardiest is this-

-For one thing Nainital,which I believe grows up to 6300ft
    has in many cases been one of the hardiest Trachys....
    although not everybody has had that experience.
    IMO.Nainital is a hybrid(possibly with Takil)and there are 2 variations-
    once again IMO-(IME),one is greener,extremely fast growing
    and not as hardy,probably more like Fortunei,another is
    more yellow green,slower/at least when small/and much more hardy.
    My smaller Nainital(the yellowish one)and my
    Bulgarian Trachy were the toughest Trachys for me after last winter
    and although smaller plants,had less damage than their larger bro's.

The reason I think Takil may be the hardiest is,it grows
    at least as high as 8200ft and gets plenty of snow in it's
    native mountain habitat.

So,there's that(-;

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

Any palm I can keep alive long enough to form a 10' trunk. So far my best luck has been with minors, so now that I have brazorias and birminghams maybe one day i can accomplish my goals.

• lzrddr
    12 years ago

I have grown or attempted to grow nearly 400 species of palm by now in So California (some have had success with about 500 different species but in much better climates than what I live in)... but so far I have yet to come across a Trachycarpus princeps (the real thing) or Brahea pimo or moorei. All three are extremely rare out here and fetch a huge price. But even for a huge price, they simply are unavailable. I have been growing palms for nearly 20 years... still hoping to come across one of those three. I think everything else I have looked for is or has been available at one time or another. Though I admit to having never seriously looked for stuff like Pritchardiopsis or Hyphorbe vaughnii or other incredibly rare things like that. Nor have I bothered trying anything really tropical (other than my obligatory attempts at growing coconuts or Licuala grandis). I know there are sources for T princeps, but after being burned a few times with 'false' T princeps, I am reluctant to try again.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Here is your best deal for real Princeps...

I have bought 4-5 from Steve,,his are the real deal
    and by far the best size for the money!

Here is a link that might be useful: Princeps

• slow73
    12 years ago

Any palm I can get to live more than 2 seasons.