Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Windmill Problem (SOS)

Posted by HardyPalmFreak (7b)(Bronx, NY) (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 17:08

I have a large windmill in a pot that has completely stopped growing. I tugged lightly on the emerging frond and it is firm. The palm is all green and I don't think it's root rot because non of the fronds have turned brown and the dirt is dry and the pot is not loaded (heavy) with water. I don't know what is wrong. How do I get my palm out of PAUSE mode?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Windmill Problem (SOS)

You have not given enough info to answer this question. In particular, we would need to know the following:

1.) How much sun is the plant getting?

2.) Is this being grown inside/outside?

3.) Do you feed it and if so, what?

4.) What kind of soil is it in?

5.) Why is the soil dry? -this time of year, it should be moist. I water my outside, containerized ones every day now, and the ones in the ground get hosed down a few times per week now that we are in a degree of drought.

6.) What are temps like?--Trachys do slow down if not stop in very high heat.

7.) If it is in a pot does it need a larger container?

Also, try to post a picture if you can.

o

Plant it in the ground?

o

Full sun, outside, miracle for shake n feed for palms, soil: miracle grow moisture control, it doesn't need a larger container, I think the 95 and higher degree days may have played a role in this then, I try and water it once everyday (I just don't like watering too much because I get water happy and then water too much. I've lost many palms from root rot. I will try to post a pic.

o

Definitely post a pic, that would help a lot! Trachys seem to grow VERY slow in pots. I got a seedling in 2007 and it's still in the original container (definitely needs to be repotted, but I like the fact that it's not too big). It's a slow grower although in recent years it has been growing faster for whatever reason.
Sounds like your doing everything right. I usually water my potted palms once a day in the summer time but I do skip some days without any ill effects.
Hope it survives!
-Alex

o

A Few my Newest windmill Palms are starting to Turn yellow am not sure why I think its older leaves but it has not been Really Pushing out leaves as it used too. I Would put a Photo up but I have Dorid X2 so I been Haveing Problems with it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here