Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andyandy_gw

Lovely rain let the growth explosion begin

andyandy
12 years ago

It may make it really nasty and humid but that's what most palms like. We have a rather large storm moving through and it is so humid nothing will evaporate tonight so when the 93 degree sun comes out tomorrow let the groth explosion begin.

Comments (16)

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Wish we got in on that.
    .22" in the last 3 weeks and that was vaporized by 99
    degree heat the next day!

• User
    12 years ago

Mid 90's today, lows upper 70's--humid. Temps have been running at least 5 degrees beyond expected highs for days now (forget about normal), due to very arid conditions that computer models have not been handling well. Heading for 101 on Friday with a heat index of 110 (lows around 80.--At these temps, even the tropicals slow down. Just came back from the nursery to replace one of my Spring planted, non-tropical hedges (Holly)--so, now I'll be watering all containerized and in-ground plantings on a daily basis.. The plants at this nursery looked like hell already, can't imagine what they'll look like by Friday. No one locally is using the D word yet but looks like that SW/Gulf Coast /Florida drought is certainly inching northward. Situation looks quite similar to last year except last year, it started in early April! And as much as everyone complained about our freakishly snowy Winter of 2010/11, if we didn't have those mountains of snow, it would really be bad now!

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Good idea to throw on the sprinkler during
    the heat of the day,my Brugs looked like
    they were suffocating with their 1 1/2' leaves.

Last 2 days have been a carbon copy.
    Sunday, High 99F dewpoint 81F heat index 120F
    Monday, High 99F dewpoint 81F heat index 120F

Even the tropicals were like...WTF!

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

.93 inches of rain for the month here! There is no way that we are getting over 2 inches at the rate we are going! I love the heat, but a quick evening thunderstorm would be really nice!
    -Alex

• earthworm73
    12 years ago

Man in a sense yall are lucky. Rain ain't been a problem round here. As a matter of fact today was the first full sunny day without any rain in 5 or 6 days. Our problem is the high temps have been pathetic. Today was mid 70's but by Thurday back to rain and low 60's! It sure did feel good to be in the full sun and warmth. My washy is struggling to put out a frond it started like 3 weeks ago. But my trachy is loving it and I fully expect the frond it's trying to open to have grown a bit when I get home from work in the morning. Darn thing has been thriving in this damp warmness we've been cursed with. But I'm sure yall would love a mid 70's and rain day in your neck of the woods huh?

• User
    12 years ago

I don't know if this is going to be the new norm or what? But I have lived in this "neck of the woods" all my life, and always remember summers to be hot, humid, uncomfortable BUT WET--regular afternoon thunderstorms, some all-day, drenching, tropical rains, the occasional, Canadian cold fronts bringing temps down into dry 80's for a few days, etc. I would see my most robust growth of palms and other tropicals in August (which used to be one of the wettest months). Now, it seems that drought is much more a common feature of the summer weather and there is a need for watering of foundation plantings. I would hate the kind of weather you are getting now though in the NW. (I realize you are supposed to be having sunny, mild, DRY weather now and you're weather is all screwed up too.) Maybe when the rest of the country is suffering from monsoonal rains and gloom, you guys will enjoy your days in the sun.

• earthworm73
    12 years ago

njoasis growing up in MD I also remember the late afternoon thunderstorms. They were so regular you could set your watch to 'em. Sorry to hear about the drought and heat. That's something we don't have to worry about this year with all the late mountain snow we got this spring. It was rain down here in the lowlands. Well looks like today will be sunny when the fog burns off. Unfortunately I'll be sleep through most of it. Good nite.

• andyandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jim-
    A lot of the rain may evaporate today but last night the dew point was (and still is) around 74. There was still some wet pavement this morning. The rain really got to sink into my garden. It is supposed to be very humid the next 5 or 6 days. 92 today, 96 tom, 100 Thur, 91, fri, 89 sat. 95 yesterday before the rain hit. it was really uncomfortable aftert the rain even though it had cooled down. Thank God for AC. I am really looking forward to the growth esp Wed and Thursday when it only falls to 77 at night.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Yea Andy....

If it wasn't for AC I would have wilted by now.
    I don't know how anyone could sleep with lows around 80!

Glad I am around the house the next few days so I can
    put out the sprinkler,some of the tropical leaves are
    just to big to handle this kind of heat...the Rose mallow
    and Stargazer Lily flowers are burning up in the heat.

• andyandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I hear you, I will need to water everything the next two mornings. Right now it is ideal growing though still wet from yesterdays rain

Hazy 88 hum 57% dew point 71

• User
    12 years ago

I water the foundation plants but just let the grass go brown as I hate using all that water for GRASS. Grass is resilient enough to go semi-dormant in high heat and drought and come back with the rains, but the shrubs (esp. newly planted one are gonna die if unwatered). Very little media attention to the fact that the great Texas/Gulf Coast/Florida drought seems to be quickly expanding into the Mid-Atlantic. Just a few weeks ago, we were good in terms of soil moisture (still benefiting from the record precip in the Winter), but boy has it gotten DRY (and HOT) suddenly here. I see nothing in the news though. I really feel that those NOT into gardening are just completely out of the touch with the natural world to even notice that it's stopped raining and things are getting BROWN--as long as they have their nice beach days!

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

I think your right....
    I was absolutely stunned how fast the
    ground dried out here when the temps
    hit the upper 90s.
    I can't even imagine(don't want to!)
    what it's like in Texas/Oklahoma where it
    has been so dry and HOT!

• earthworm73
    12 years ago

So the weatherman predicted today for me area, hold on to your wigs...62* for a daytime high and rain! Pittiful. I never thought I would associate July with cold fronts. June maybe. May, end of September yes. Not July.

• User
    12 years ago

This MASSIVE, intense, heat dome centered over North America is just making the whole continent's weather bizarre (repeated dust storms in Arizona, chill in the West, heat and drought everyplace else). I just heard that the Real Feel Temp in Minneapolis, in the predawn hour, is already 90 F.--That's not unusual for Miami this time of year, but Minneapolis--INSANE!

• pj_orlando_z9b
    12 years ago

Please send rain this way! My area continues to be in a rain hole...literally yesterday, storms that formed east of town moved east and the ones that formed west moved South to avoid our area. We had one storm 2 weeks ago drop 3". If it wasn't for that, we would be sitting at less than an inch since mid-May. My water bill is going to be through the roof. All of Maryland except the Western panhandle is in at least drought category 0 which is "Abnormally dry". We really need a tropical depression or stalled out front to come through.

• earthworm73
    12 years ago

Hey PJ I live/work near an Indian Rez, I ask them to do a rain dance for ya.