Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brooklyngreg

Agave surviving winters in the NC outter banks

brooklyngreg
13 years ago

FYI

This must be the northern most reach for the East Coast.

Comments (9)

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Looks very nice! I think agave americana could probably survive about up to Virginia Beach and they seem to thrive on the outer banks. With protection they can survive much further north though! And dont forget that there are some species of agave that are more cold tolerant (down to a zone 6) and if given good drainage they can probably survive as far north as MA on the east coast!
    Thanks for sharing! The agave in the pic looks pretty old!
    Good luck!
    -Alex

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi TZ,

Yup that's my 2009 photo.

Laura in VB grows these but in her photo's they are in a pot. So I was wonder if they can survive in VB. She seems to have the best micro-climate there. On the Outter Banks the agaves looked well established and had many babies around them.

• mastiffhoo
    13 years ago

I've seen them in a few spots around Virginia Beach

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

I definitely wouldnt doubt that. Traditionally Virginia beach is a zone 8a but I think its more of a 8b most winters. With good drainage they are worth a try there and they really look great on the outer banks.

Good luck!
    -Alex

• jacklord
    13 years ago

Virginia Beach is a subtropical enclave. Back when I was an 8 year old nerd in the 70s, I was really into snakes and lizards. I would read up on different species and their distribution. Maps would always have the VB area as the northernmost limit for most of them in the South.

Now that I am a 45 year old nerd and into palms, I once again look at VB with envy.

As for the Outer Banks, I never saw anything like that in the 70s, although there were some botched attempts. Looks like they figured it out.

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    13 years ago

They DEFINITELY will grow in VB area. I know I have seen many of those, as well as many palms growing unprotected to maturity in Sandbridge VA, which is the southern most populated Atlantic Ocean beach in VA. All of the beaches south of there are either State parks, national wildlife refuges, or otherwise uninhabited beaches until you get down to Corolla, NC. (I don't count Carova Beach, NC as being populated since there are so few homes there.)

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info..

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

Hey Everyone,

Yes they do well here in VB as well as the Outer Banks...

I was just down in Hatteras fishing and noticed several large Agaves one was or looked like an Americana Agave and the other was a huge Varigated Agave...I will be back down there in a few weeks and will take pictures. If anyone does travel down to Hatteras they are at the Marina on the righthand side, right before you get on the ferry to Ocracoke Island.

Here in VB, I have seen them growing for over 20 yrs without protection...they are located at the 6th street or around 7-8th street on Pacific ave. at the corner near the parking lot at the corner....

My large Americana continues to be brought in every year. I know it is probably so root bound and probably begging to be repotted outside...so I will consider doing that. I do have one different type planted in my backyard that I have not shown before. so I will take a pic when I get home. This different type of Agave does very well unprotected, but grows very slowly...Winesett nursery has several types of "Century Plants" that they grow outside for years and years...and like Nova (Ken) says, Sandbridge has had them planted with much success for along time as well.

I love these great plants...I will take pictures of the local Agaves soon and post for you all to see!!!

Take care everyone!!!

Laura in VB

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Definitely do post some pics! I will definitly try an agave in the future but probably one of the more cold tolerant agaves (which I dont mind doing since I need something more compact for the spot Im thinking of anyway).
    They might not be palms, but they are very interesting plants that go great with them (especially with european fan palms, Brahea, and washingtonia)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting