Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patbatzu

Christmas Palm

patbatzu
11 years ago

I am wondering why my christmas palm leaves are beginning to turn dull yellow, I live in Palm bay Florida its out on my porch in full sun about 9 hours a day high humidity and temps about 88-92 during the day and about 75 at night plz help

Comments (13)

• TAB3230
    11 years ago

Christmas palms usually very good growing Palms in any soil, do you have very low pH soil? It maybe magnesium issue spread 2 teaspoons in 3 gal bucket rain/distiller water around it and wait 2 weeks and then check if it helps!

• TAB3230
    11 years ago

Coul you explain what sunburn exactly means? There is no such thing for palms as sunburn, afaik!

• catkim
    11 years ago

Any plant that was previously in a shady, protected location and then is suddenly moved into 9 hours a day of full sun can suffer sunburn -- the bleached yellowing you see. I'm not certain that's what it is, but eric may be on the right track. Is the palm in a pot, or in the ground?

• ericthehurdler
    11 years ago

well one sign that tells me it is sun damage, is the leaflet on the bottom right that has a small brown spot in the middle surrounded by yellowing. if it were under watering, fertilizer burn, etc it would generally be turning brown from the edges inward.

no worries the palm will adjust and grow new fronds that can handle your 9 hours of full sun :)

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

I have the "golden" variety as well as the usual green one. But the fronds on the golden are more yellow with the colour evenly spread. They like full sun, provided it's not from a life of shade straight into the sun. I'd expect sunburn to show up more severely than what you have there. For plants in pots there's a fine balance sometimes between too much or too little (imbalanced) fertiliser. Iron deficiency can show up as a yellowing of leaves and high soil pH can lead to this. If it is some mild deficiency then a balanced fertiliser with trace elements should help.

• patbatzu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I thought it may be sunburn as well it has been in full sun for about 2 months now, as you may know August and July in Florida are very hot.I gave it fertilizer not to long ago and I don't know how to check the PH of the soil. We have been a bit dry here I have been watering it with tap water every other day.

• TAB3230
    11 years ago

I will tell you no way, no way Palm will act yellow leaves to high sun no way unless it has some lack of nutritients under it!

• TAB3230
    11 years ago

No way, palms sunburned, it is from their nature, guys, it is millions- billions years of interaction with sun, high or low, these plants only show defficients in minors/majors as nutritients, they relatively simple to manage!

• ericthehurdler
    11 years ago

plants don't get sunburned the same way that we do. They produce a protein that counter acts harmful UV rays. but if the plant doesn't have suffeicent water that protein cant reach the leaves in time to protect it from the sun. thus resulting in a "sunburn".
    If like patbatzu said that he had a few hot days and he watered every other, it might have just got a bit of water stress and some of the chlorophyl got fried turning yellow.
    Im assuming the palm is in a pot?

• RichardC7
    11 years ago

lol You should have seen my yard in early june! EVERYTHING was sun damaged! even my bananas had a dark spot on 1 or 2 leaves! Anything that is out in the sun can get funky, even a patio umbrella can.

• patbatzu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes it is in a pot i live in an apartment so I dont put it in the ground yet.

• patbatzu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This picture was taken just now And it has not been below 90 during the day for about 2 months. and not below 70 at night for about 3 months.

When this message was posted it was 94 and the humidity is about 79%. So factor out heat and humidity because its good