Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unique Palms

Posted by LagoMar 8B (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 19:23

European Fan Palms are known to have multiple trunks, but this is the first time I remember seeing a multi-trunked Windmill Palm. I spotted it right here in the Lago Mar neighborhood of Virginia Beach.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unique Palms

As far as I know, they are not multi-trunked palms. It was probably 3 separate palms planted closely together.

o

I had a multi trunked windmill from lowes. The second trunk was shorter than the main. But when the winter of 2010 killed the main trunk I had to remove it. It was obvious that they were 2 separate seeds.

o

I've seen them planted in pots in twos and threes at garden centers. They don't do have pups like Med fans or needles. They looks best when the trio is consisted of three different sized palms.

o

Sometimes you see them planted as triples, they dont naturally pup like European fan palms, but they can grow in doubles, triples, and occasionally quadruples! I had a double trachy, but the larger of the 2 palms died for no reason in the middle of the summer. The smaller one lived and is still growing today 4 years later.
-Alex

o

Nurseries often do multiple seed plantings of single stemmed palms in pots. They often do it with multistemmed palms as well just to get that jungly look a lot faster.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here