Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I need a permit dig up and sell cycads

Posted by Limataz none (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 19:30

Hi, I live in North Queensland and have thousands of cycads growing on the property. I want to sell some of the established cycads but am unsure if I need a permit to dig them out and sell them. Any info would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I need a permit dig up and sell cycads

Do you know which species of cycad they are? Generally around your area you'd possibly have Cycas media if you're in more of a savanna area. In a rainforest area the possibilities would be Lepidozamia hopei or the much smaller Bowenia spectabilis.

Internationally trafficking of cycads is controlled by CITES regulations and can involve a lot of red tape, if it's approved. Interstate it can be difficult, dependant on where they are being sent. Within your own state it's not usually a problem if they're coming off your own property. However, difficulties can arise for the purchaser if they are confronted by the authorities and have to prove the plants were acquired legally. That's where it would be best to check with the Dept. of Environment and Heritage Protection. They could tell you how to do it and avoid legal complications further down the track.

o
RE: Do I need a permit dig up and sell cycads

You probably have the legal right,but you know digging them up is like stealing from your heritage? Sort of like being the keeper of the last two Dodo's,and then ...cooking them.
Now,if you collected some seeds- and even those don't sell cheap- you could have forever income compared to right now income.
Its kind of awful you would have so many magnificent plants..and want to get rid of them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here