Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deep___roots

rhapis- lady palm - got on craigslist- care?

deep___roots
13 years ago

Got me a freebie. The palm is in a large and tall heavy duty plastic pot (16 inches in diameter?). Some of the shoots are 5 feet tall. New shoots are coming up also. Some of the shoots have the leaves like you want them, green and nice looking. Some of the shoots have leaves that are crinkled and brown (DO NOT WANT). I would say there are at least 10 shoots of various heights.

I have this puppy in a nice shady spot that gets some sun during the day but not much. I have watered it a couple of times (I got it on June 25th).

I will fertilize this plant soon.

What do you suppose caused the leaves to look crinkled & brown? Will new leaves come out of these shoots and have the look that I want? Is cutting some of the 5 foot shoots at ground level advised? (I would think not.) I noticed some previous shoots that had been cut at ground level were easily yanked out.

Any advice is appreciated. Got this from someone in a wealthy community where they like to just get rid of stuff and buy new stuff instead of taking time to give their old stuff the care it needs. I'm not complaining though...this plant has potential. Thanks.

Comment (1)