Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
islandbreeze_gw

What's wrong with my Thai Giant EE?

islandbreeze
12 years ago

The last 2 leaves that came out are stunted and distorted, and a new leaf is currently pushing out and is also twisted. I have another TG literally 3 feet away that is growing under the same conditions. It is doing great. Did I overwater or overfertilize?

Comments (6)

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Fascinating. My bird of paradise does that ( they are distantly related plants I believe).

Try posting those pics on the banana forum?

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No, the banana forum activity is virtually nonexistent. How often do you water your BOP? From what I understand, they like relatively dry soil, so if you water a lot, maybe it is overwatering that is the culprit for both plants? The only thing is, I thought elephant ears were supposed to be borderline pond plants and loved water...

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Disregard my statement about their relationship. I'm using my smart phone and I thought it was a banana.

My BoP gets a fair amount of water, but wouldn't think it's getting too much in this heat and drought. The condition is only happening on it's newest pup. The original plant and first two pups look fine. It's only bloomed once and takes up alot of room inside in the winter, so I'll likely give it away.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Ryan(?)

I think your right about the fertilizer...my guess is you
    guys got hot too(?)and that speeded up the damage.

What did you use and how much.

I noticed mine looked a little burnt too,although I am
    not sure how bad as I haven't spent much time out there
    in the heat.
    Temps in the 95-100F range are probably a little rough ehh?

BTW

Thai giant likes it a little drier than typical EE's which are bog plants.

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Jim. I soak them pretty much every day that it doesn't rain, but lately I've been trying to lay off the heavy watering. As far as fertilizer goes, I use coffee grounds, gave some miracle gro liquid fertilizer a couple times so far this summer, not too overboard, but the fertilizer that I think probably broke the camel's back is probably Milorganite, which I really applied generously a few weeks ago. Since then, it has been nothing but stunted leaves, so I bet that's the culprit. I pulled some off today to try to regain some normal leaves. Everything that I read though said that they were heavy feeders, and only said not to overfertilize because the flower might not appear. I don't grow for the flowers, I grow for the foliage.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

I hear ya.....
    I don't want no stinking flowers(-:
    Just big leaves!

The flowers are cool though...

I would be surprised if Milorganite burned it,guess it's possible though.

M-grow has been the culprit every time here.

I don't mix it any stronger than half strength-I think you could
    basically water every time that way.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022