Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
islandbreeze_gw

Pics of my Trachycarpus Takil

islandbreeze
12 years ago

I purchased this palm about 3 yrs ago as a half gallon size from Collector Palms. It was sold as Takil. It has the creeping trunk that seems to grow along the soil line like a sabal, as well as large leaves for the size of the palm and twisted hastula. Could this be the real deal? The most convincing feature for me is the trunk. I've never seen a Fortunei do this. I tried to get decent pics of it.

Comments (6)

• earthworm73
    12 years ago

IB I just bought one the other day that looks like yours except bigger. Could you elaborate on the "creeping trunk" thing? I don't know what that is. I was hoping I have the real deal but there's a good chance I don't. I have it side by side with my "pure" forunei and there is some differences in appearance although I know fortunei has numerous variations.
    Here are some pics of mine. How does it compare to yours?

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What I mean by creeping trunk is when it was younger, it did not seem to grow a vertical trunk, it just kept growing sideways instead of up, as you can see by the grouping of old boots to one side of the trunk of mine.

• earthworm73
    12 years ago

Ok I see. On mine it just has a slight "boot" you can't really see it in the pic. No where near as prominent as yours. And compared to yours mine doesn't have the twisted hastula. I don't believe. Even if I it is not a takil and is a nainital I still like it especially the dark green stiff fronds.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Ryan

First off,it is Nainital,which is a great palm-

So glad you posted pics of this...
    I bought one around the same time(from the same place!),I am looking through my
    photobucket account right now to see(approx)when I got it/first posted pics.......
    My theory is Nainital is a hybrid between Takil/Fortunei-
    no way to prove it BUT-they do have some similar features...

One thing that is odd is that there seems to be 2 versions of
    Nainital,one is darker green/faster growing ans one is(at least while small)
    slower growing and slightly more yellow in color-at least compared to ours....this greener version
    seems slightly less hardy than the other and has pulled every spring
    whereas the smaller/slower/yellower version has not!

Heres one of the first pics I ever took of mine-notice it
    has longer petioles(like e-worm73's) from being grown out of direct sun/wind.
    Unfortunately no date on the pics )-:
    I am guessing April 2008

Later that same year before protection started -no more long
    petioles/more compact.

//////////////////11-08-08///////////////////////

Recovering from s-pull 4-26-09/This one has proved to be a wicked fast grower!

11-23-09

Pulled again!
    March 3 2009

Last year in Oct

This year 7-16-09 (-:

Ligules are the strappy leaf sheathes that new growth comes out of.
    Notice in some of the pics that the Ligules are like straps
    and loose-a real Takil's Ligules look like this-usually
    accompanied by heavy tomentum on the petioles and trunk.

• earthworm73
    12 years ago

Jim thanks for the info. I hope my "greeny" is a fast grower. I am kinda on the impatient side sometimes. I just checked out the growing point on my nainital and it does has a small amount of tomentum especially when compared to my fortunei of the same size. Right now it will probably remain in a pot til next season as I am undecided on where it's permenant home will be (ongonig negotiaions with the wife). My hope is for it to put out at least two more fronds before winter. It has a spear standing tall but almost no signs of it opening. It looked like it wasn't given TLC at the nursery remember it was shoved way back in a corner. I replanted it into a slightly larger pot, gave it a small amount of slow release palm fert and gave it a shot of fish emulsion with it's first watering. Hope that does the trick.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Looks like one of the faster variety-time will tell.

Be careful about fertilizing after transplanting,
    very easy to burn the (possibly)damaged roots.
    Better to wait a while,better still to use a root
    stimulator after replanting/planting.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz