Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mastiffhoo

Finally decided to post a few photos...

mastiffhoo
11 years ago

Keep in mind, like most here, we have had a very hot summer. During the hottest spell, I was without water for about a week.

This Trachy is maybe 8' (to the tallest frond)and has been in the ground for 5 years now. I'll show it in its second year and where it is now. I am trying to go by scale with the garage door behind it. Also, this is the second year for my Crape and it is showing outstanding growth. This is the 3rd year for my Sabal Minor, and surprisingly is showing decent growth.

All my palms have never received protection - with the exception of an umbrella over the trachy during and ice storm several years ago.

2nd summer (no growth yet)

Trachy now...

Sabal Minor

Baby Trachy that really took a beating during the heat and no water...

Various photos around the pool...

Banana's

Lantana around 4' tall...

Sabal Brazoria #1

Brazoria #2 (fence behind is 4')

Fig

Newly planted Pomegranate

Comments (13)

• bradleyo_gw
    11 years ago

Well, it's about time that posted some pics, I was beginning to doubt that you were even a gardener! Everything looks great, I would have thought you lived much closer to the ocean with the palms looking so good without protection. What variety is that purple crape, very nice coloration? And that fig, is that 1 tree. Very weird growth pattern if it is. Very wide and not very tall. Are the pomegranates hardy and do they fruit in your area? That would be an interesting tree to have. Love the things, but they're so expensive!

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

Your palms look great! That looks like a pretty big minor you have. And your bananas are huge!! Do you fertilize or water them a lot?

• mastiffhoo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Brady, and to answer your questions: To be honest, I am not sure the variety of Crape. I wish I could tell you, but I also really like the coloration of purple. The Fig is one tree, and I agree it does seem to have more of an outward growth verses upright. This is the first year for the pomegranate, so time will tell. The local nursery that I bought it from has been growing them for several years. He said he had reports of them fruiting in my area. The size tree you are looking at was $24.

Islandbreeze: Thanks so much. My naner's are not watered and admittedly, I have have slacked with the fertilizer this year - so no, I have not.

• LagoMar
    11 years ago

You're a hero of some kind. Zonebuster! Seriously, that is an impressive collection for Lynchburg, especially unprotected! I went to school at Liberty, and never would have imagined a Windmill Palm making it there... and thriving. Your bananas are beautiful! Mine got scorched in the 100 degree heat. I water constantly. I'm beginning to think they may get stronger without water. Maybe the roots dig deeper with lack of water. You can see some of my scorched bananas on the webcam at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Beach Weather

• LagoMar
    11 years ago

Didn't know figs or Sabals would grow there either. Do you know what the lowest temp your palms have seen?

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Beach Weather

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Very nice yard! That trachy has had some impressive growth for sure! I notice they take a while to start growing fast, then when they are established and in the right conditions, they just take off! It looks like that's starting to happen with mine now (its in it's fourth summer) so I'm hoping it starts looking like an impressive palm tree soon!
    And I think your crape myrtle is a Zuni. I have a Zuni and it has really nice purple flowers and its a semi dwarf, but a really fast grower for me (2 years in the ground from a 3 gallon, 2 foot tall) plant at Home Depot and now it's about 6 feet tall).

The basjoos look awesome, thats a nice grove of them! And nice figs, cannas, and castors too and the sabals look nice!
    Good luck with the pomegranate, I have heard of people getting fruit in VA before, so if you have a mild winter and a hot summer when it's mature, dont be surprised if you get some fresh pomegranate fruit from the yard!
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• mastiffhoo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lago., thanks so much. I also went to Liberty :) Honestly, I am seeing more and more Windmills popping up in the area. There is a very mature one in Wyndhurst that is approximately 15+' that has also never seen protection. It is hard to tell with the new growth, but my naners also got scorched during the heat. The bad storm we had shredded the leaves then the heat literally cooked them. Like I said, the new growth is somewhat covering it.
    TBZ7 - I think that is right about the Crape; good call :) Hopefully I will get some yummy fruits soon - my kids love 'em!

• LagoMar
    11 years ago

I think the lynchburg airport is a little on the cold side of reality but do you know what the coldest temps your plants have seen? what type of fig are you growing? good eating? sorry re the choppy post. Written on my phone.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Looking good-beautiful Trachy!

Has that nice sturdy Nainital look.

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

Mastiffhoo- Do you guys get hot in the summer frequently or do you stay only warm?

• mastiffhoo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Island... It stays fairly hot - if not hot, then most certainly humid.... Of course, we were hit with the several mini-heat waves this year.

LoMar... I agree, I also believe the Lynchburg airport reads several degrees colder than what it actually gets. Not sure the reasoning for this. I think the coldest we got last winter was 16 or 17 with us only dipping into the teens 3 times all winter. The coldest is around 5 and that was short lived.

Jim... do you know the differences of the Trachy species? How can I tell? It was sold to me under the label of Takil.

• chadec
    11 years ago

Nice looking trachys, they are putting on some good size. Yard is great too. Keep up the good work.

• mastiffhoo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Chadec. I was starting to worry about the palm the first couple years...