Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Plant I.D.

Posted by lindenska none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 20:14

Got some small palms from home improvement store. Got home and noticed the one on the left isn't like the others. Is it a mini majesty? or reed palm?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Plant I.D.

a picture of the leaves would help with the ID

o

here

o

The fan palm looks like a rhapis exelsa, lady palm. It does look like you may have 2 different palms there. The leaves look different on the plant in the foreground but it's tough to tell from the pic.

o

Perhaps a Christmas palm?

o

Yes, I know the one on the right in lady palm. I am looking to ID the left(all green) one. I know that they sell majestys and reed palms at the store and I always see large ones of those, but never a small one. That's why I'm not sure what the left one is.

o

here

o

Adonidia for sure

o

Interesting. Thanks for the ID.

o

eh not for sure yet lol. is there any white/grey tomentum/fluffy speckles that look like mealybugs on the petioles/stem?

o

speckles on the stem? no

o

It also could be a Foxtail Palm.... :-) very interesting to see that!

o

Thanks for the suggestion. It may be an adonidia, the company that grows the lady palms, also grows them, but no foxtails.

o

Not sure about it being an adondila. Looks like a chamaedorea seifrizii to me. They are suckering so if you see any new palms appear in the next year or 2, then you will know for sure if it is a chamaedorea seifrizii (Adondias do not sucker).
-Alex

o

Dang. That's 1 of the 2 I thought it probably was. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here