Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21934719

Cycas revoluta growing like CRAZY this year!

User
12 years ago

All of the Sagos are taking off this year!(Plants are grown outside March-December)--Strange, because last year they grew very little. Last year, I transplanted them in order to provide more space and I fed. It was extremely HOT and ARID last year but I did water. This summer--which so far has been relatively normal in terms of temps and rainfall (see how long that lasts)--I did nothing for them (no soil improvement, feeding, etc.). Yet in this state of 'neglect' they are growing much, MUCH better. Was it the heat last year? Or do they just resent being disturbed at the roots? I wanted to add additional soil to the bottom of the containers (keeping the same pot), but afraid to do it now because of their growth spurts.

Comments (7)

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

Whenever you figure it out, let me know cause mine doesn't grow for nothing. I have been about ready to give up on it ever growing.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Chadec, cycads really grow in bursts then do nothing for a year. I know that Floridians may get two bursts per year but I usually get one--but the plant may sent out over a dozen new leaves in a matter of a few weeks. How are you growing your Sagos?--Ground or container? (If in a container, I assume it is outside now.) If yours has been sitting dormant for over a year, I would consider container size, fertilizing, sun levels or soil issues. Palms are like cycads in requiring excellent drainage--hard to over water them in the heat of summer--but I understand they like more spacious pots than palms--that being the case it's imperative that your soil mix offers excellent drainage (more so than with even palms). Good luck with the Sagos!

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

njoasis

I transplanted mine about a month before it flushed-
    it put out a massive flush this year,almost doubling what
    it did last year.
    I think it likes it new pot and didn't seen to mind being
    moved into it!

Chad

One way to get your Cycad to flush is using lawn fertilizer,
    make sure it doesn't have any weed killer in it.

They are usually like 27-2-5..mainly high N.

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

My cycad does flush every year. This year it put out more leaves than it had last year. Except they were much shorter. Its still potted and is outside. I think my soil my contain too much sand. I also had a bout with scale where I lost 2 other sagos.
    I have been using a fertilizer for azaleas which is high in nitrogen too. I think its 24-12-8.

• Matfx7
    12 years ago

Hi Chadec7a

You could have saved your 2 Sagos by destroying the scales with Coffee beans spray. It worked for me like a magic. I found this www.cycad.org/documents/Broome-Coffee-2007.pdf

I am afraid my Cycas is not getting enough sunlight as it gets more shade with tall trees and new buildings under construction. It gets 2 hours of sunlight if there is no trace of a cloud. Will it survive too much shade? I bought it in June 2011 with trunk diameter of 8 inchs. Temperatures here are warm between 27c to 37c in any season except in summer it is below 42c.

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

The problem with scale always showed up during winter when the plants didn't receive light or heat. But will try that if i have problems again.

Thanks,
    Chad

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

how about a picture.