Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is it ??????

Posted by jonpa none7a (j.santiago82@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 20:23

Can anyone tell me what type of Washingtonia palm this is? I bought it as a robusta but the fibers on the fronds are throwing me off. Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is it ??????

both species have fibers. Some look identical at this age, though some filiferi have an incredible amount of fibrous material... however, so do hybrids sometimes.

o

I agree with lzrddr, when they young its very hard to tell. Where did you buy this palm? If you bought it from the West coast it can could be any of them. But if you bought it from the east coast it will be a robusta or hybrid. The CA fan palm does not like humidity and is extremely rare outside of dry climates.
- US_Marine

o

I got it from a seller in Florida, he said it was a robusta. I put it out in full sun and the fronds started turning yellow. Don't kno if it's sunburn or just shock from the transplant. I cut 2 of the worst fronds off n was left with 2 plus the spears, I'll post a pic, I since moved it to part sun instead of full sun, any ideas of what could be wrong?

o

These tend to transplant poorly at that age... But it still might make it... give it some time.

o

I agree, filifera is not good in the East. I once planted dozens of seeds of robustas or filibustas, and filiferas. All the filiferas ended up dying; no problem with the robustas or hybrids. Regarding the yellowing, how much are you watering? In Summer, in full sun, in high heat, these are water lovers, and small pots dry out quite fast, so watering everyday might not be excessive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here