Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chadec7a

July garden photos

chadec7a
12 years ago

Well the rain has stopped and the heat wave is in full effect. We have only dropped out of the 90's a time or two. The garden is not where I want it but it's coming along.

My windmills.

Sabal minor bloom.

My bismarkia fronds with cannas in the background.

My new crape myrtle

Silver euro palm

{{gwi:1150871}}

Some agaves that just don't stop growing.

This hibicus has two different color blooms

Naners and EE's

Thanks for looking,

Chad

Comments (26)

• subtropix
    12 years ago

As I view your pics, I reflexively divide them all into ones that I can include in the garden and those that are a real challenge.

Problem Plants: Hydrangeas, Hibiscus, Euonymous, and Hosta.

Safe plants: Crape Myrtles, palms, Yucca, Opuntia, Elephant ears, bananas, and Agave.

I would have includes Canna as safe--until the deer ate them--leaves and flowers.

P.S. What is the shrub between the Trachys in the first picture>

• chadec7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Those are azaleas, some are newer than others. I didn't like the location of the shrubs when I move here. The leaves vary slightly but when the plant fills in more it shouldn't be noticable, I hope!
    I have seen deer eating the apples right off of my apple tree, but they have never bothered any plants. My biggest problem would be the insects leaving pinholes in all the leaves.

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

Nice plants! Your first pic of the side of your house looks EXACTLY like my grandparents house! (Just with different plants)

• chadec7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Hunter, that is actually the front of my house. The bed is a giant U shape where you can walk into the center.
    This is the side of my house. I removed a maple tree last year so now this area gets afternoon sun. But the azaleas are still having a hard time. The nandina firepower is right at home. I have the windmill on a severe lean, I hope that it gives the plant an interesting shape as it grows.

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

Actually thats what I meant. When I posted the message I had front in mind but I typed side.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Great pics! Everything looks great! Thanks for sharing!

• chadec7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Alex- I was wondering how your angle trumpets are doing? Mine are about 3' high and I am not seeing any signs of blooming this year. Everyone else's around here is about twice that in size. I'm thinking I may need to leave them in the ground this year and protect them if I don't get any blooms.

• dixieboy
    12 years ago

Look'in good Chad, we are still in a serious drought situation here in the coastal regions.

• chadec7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks dixieboy, I'm starting to feel your pain with the drought thing.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Looking good there Chad buddy.

Your Rose mallow is way ahead of mine.

If it's that warm there you can water those Trachys practically
    everyday,they don't seem to mind the heat as much this way...
    In their "native" habitat monsoon rains blitz them quite
    often during the warm season....winter being the dry time.
    That's why we see so many probs with overwintering them in(most of) the U.S.

Looking good!

I like the Siam ruby,one of the prettiest bananas IMO!

• chadec7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Jim, my trachy's love getting watered as much as my bananas. Your right about overwintering them, my sabals tend to be more hardy for me here in N.C.

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

I wish I was back in good 'ol zone 7. Not yet though. Mabye next year. Im anxious to plant some windmills and needles the most.Do you have any needles?

• chadec7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hunter, I have 4 needles planted throughout my yard. The largest one is in full sun and the others are in my shade garden infront of the house.
    Here are a few pics.

{{gwi:1150890}}
    another windmill with 3 sabal minors planted around it. the minor in front is a sabal Louisiana seedling.

Trachycarpus Princeps not sure if you can see the white on the fronds due to the rain we have had today.

These make for really good potted palms also if you don't know for sure when or if you will be moving back to zone 7.

Thanks,

Chad

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

Wow, they are nice! Heres my needle palm:

I know they are slow growers but how long do you think it might take for the fronds to start looking like mature fronds?

• chadec7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Not sure about that, as slow as a needle grows it will grow even slower in a pot. It's a very nice looking palm, just keep it happy and in time it will reward you. I have an trachy waggie thats about the same size as yours an the fronds have not split yet. And one with a 2" trunk that has the fronds split. But every palm is different.

• HardyPalmFreak
    12 years ago

Do you protect any of your palms in N.C.?

• chadec7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

HardyPalmFreak- I have never protected the large needle palm or any of the minors. the large minors with the costapalmate fronds are new this year and will get protected along with the trachys and small needles.
    I also protect my seedlings- sabal birmingham, brazoia, savannah ga. and louisiana. If these were of a 3 gallon size they would not get any protection either.

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

Oops, I posted that twice, lol.

• chadec7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well I guess the drought is over. I can't believe it's raining so hard my gutters are failing.

• protempsfish
    12 years ago

Your yard is lookin good bro. Keep up the good work.

• andyandy
    12 years ago

Chad-
    Great job, keep it up and please send some of that rain our way. I'm having to water my palms and garden daily and my lawn looks like hay.

• jacklord
    12 years ago

Very nice. Does anyone else in your neighborhood grow tropicals?

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I just saw the rain pics now! Looks like some drought relief for you! We could use a nice rain here and we should be getting it today!
    -Alex

• chadec7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Protempsfish!

Jacklord, nobody else grows any tropicals around here. All you ever see are yuccas and opuntias. You will come across afew windmills in downtown Winston Salem. But no tropical gardens. I tend to make everyone jealous.

Andy and Alex I hope yall got some rain cause it ain't stopping down here.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Looks like the heavy rain axis has shifted away from us....
    hardly a drop here after almost 18" in 6(or so) weeks.

Princeps look great!

Glad to see you scored some rain-time to pull the hose
    out here..... for only the second time this year.

They are saying maybe temps around 100 here,end of next week.

• chadec7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jim, that might be a good thing, the heat is whats causing all of our storms. With the right front you could get some afternoon rain as well. Just hope you don't get the lightin storms we have been having. I have seen large oaks and maples brought down this week!

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!