Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Palm ID Please

Posted by theseventhlegend Jax Florida (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 14, 12 at 20:56

Would like to know your thoughts on what kind of palm this is... Here's what I can tell. It's more than likely Pheonix species most closely resembling a Canary but less stout. Leaf scars resembling a Date Palm. The leaves arch / curve even more than a Sylvestri. Palm is located close to a zone 9a/8b border. Got to 18 degrees 2 winters ago and the foliage was 90% fried. Came back quickly and easily (as you can see). Also palm gets no protection. What palm is this? Or is it a hybrid? If a hybrid hard to say cause it's much smaller than a Canary. What do you think? It's gorgeous and I want one. lol Thanks.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Palm ID Please

Also there's a huge Canary & Sylvestri basically across the street. You can see the similarities.

o

Phoenix hybridise very easily. In fact it can be difficult to get a pure specimen of one species. That one certainly has the characteristics of CIDP and sylvestris.

o

So basically good luck finding one that looks like this unless it's a mature specimen? Would the offspring from this palm be identical?

o

Looks like a Phoenix rupicola.

o

I agree Steve but it's in an area that sees temps in the low 20s and high teens some winters.

o

Rupicola usually has longer and more arching fronds. But if there's been a bit of crossing anything might happen. Don't know the exact temperature tolerances for rupicola but I thought it was fairly low.

o

Beautiful palm! It does look a lot like rupicola. Its possible that it is a hybrid, but it definitely has some rupicola in it. Rupicolas are not very cold hardy, but they probably could survive a brief dip to the the low 20s with lots of damage (like you describe this one getting) and still manage to survive. It may be in a good microclimate and didnt get as cold as 18F, but slightly warmer. When it comes to that kind of weather every degree counds!
-Alex

o

Here's another look:

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here