Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butiaman

Where are all the Waggies?Show yours.

butiaman
12 years ago

I was courious where are all the Waggies for sale.Ebay had them for a longtime for sale.The one I bought was a 3gal.size last year,I cant remember the sellers name.I planted it in May and it just took off growing.Everything I had read on them said they grow very slow.I want to buy a few more since the one I have is doing so well.It's pushing its 5th frond already since May.I would say that's pretty fast compared to a lot of my other palms.I know mine is just a baby compared to some out there,but I would love to see some big ones.

Here's mine.

Comments (15)

• HardyPalmFreak
    12 years ago

Here's mine - I got mine this past May too from JungleMusic and it's on the fourth frond.

{{gwi:1137219}}

{{gwi:1137220}}

To the right of the large waggie there is a baby waggie I bought about 8 months ago from Plants Delights.com

{{gwi:1137222}}

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Wow, I have to get these trachys! They are one of my favorite palms (probably the top 5 when young). Thanks for posting pics! Looking forward to seeing others!

-Alex

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Heres a pic of one of mine.
    I have 3 planted...some are VERY slow,while
    others are certainly fast,the one pictured
    puts out 10-12 leaves a year-even with spear-pull.

• butiaman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

HPF,
    How big is that waggie in your first picture?Love the pics. everyone has posted.
    Alex they are great looking palms,and so far no pest or diseases have attacked mine.My Fortuneis have something on them.I think it's a disease,so I been spraying them every week.The new fronds dont have the brown spots on them like the old ones do,so mabey I stopped it.
    Randy

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

I just can't tell the difference between windmill varieties. What's more attractive about them? What sets them apart from a standard fortunei windmill?

• butiaman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

wetsuiter,
    To have a waggie is to love a waggie.Mabey the pictures dont show how great these little palms really are.Dont get me wrong,I like the fortuneis too,I have 4 of them.I did not see what was so great about them either till I bought one for myself.Next Trachy I want to try is a takil,when I know for sure it's a real takil.
    Jim,
    Where did you get your takil from,and what size plant did you get?How is it doing compared to your other Trachys?
    Randy

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Randy

Takil are seedlings from James a Europalms-
    he is the ONLY seller I trust fot real Takil.

There is a lot of misinformation out about these palms.
    Actually,a lot of the info is on Nainital(originally thought to be Takil) and has not been corrected.

The seeds have only been available for a few years so these aren't many of any size out there.

I know of a few sellers that were going to put them on e-bay but it looks like they are holding on the them now.

Heres a picture from mid May of 1 of the 3 I planted out
    this spring.

• pj_orlando_z9b
    12 years ago

My waggie is a trooper. Fourth year in the ground with essentially no winter protection. I only use frost cloth during the coldest periods. This is the first winter emerging spears got burnt a little but that has all pushed out. I get about 10-13 fronds a year on this guy. Very fast grower (brick for scale).

• earthworm73
    12 years ago

Yall have some nice healthy waggies. But for me I am just not into them. If it came down to getting a waggie or t. fortunei I would easily pick the tried and true fortunei. I just don't know what it is. Just one man's opinion.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Not me...one Fortunei is enough(although I have 2 planted),
    3 Waggies in the ground though.
    Can't get enough of them,probably in my top 3 favorites in
    regard to Trachys if we are just going on looks.........
    1.)Princeps
    2.)Manipur
    3.)Wagnerianus

Given Manipurs slow growth lack of comparable hardiness
    I would have to bump Wagnerianus up to number 2 (-:

• earthworm73
    12 years ago

Good list Jim. I also like T. latisectus. I'm trying to get my hands on one. I think it would do good in my area.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Yea it might if you don't get to cold...below 20ish.

They have been beaten up pretty good in Europe recently and perished.

Have you tried looking here?

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: T.Latisectus

• earthworm73
    12 years ago

A "normal" winter for us don't see temps lower than mid to upper 20's. And even then we usually only see a handful of those nights. Last winter was the exception. I would take my chances with one. Nothing a little protection couldn't fix.

• butiaman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Love all the pics.and responses from everyone.

Jim,
    I have a account with Europalms.I ordered a couple palms from them this past spring.I bought 3 Butia eriospatha x capitatas.There were seedlings also,but they have took off growing like crazy in the last month.I think it's because our temps.have been 95 or above all this month.I dont remember the guys name I spoke to at Europalms.He said they have proven to grow faster than regular capitatas and can take cold wet winters better and they dont suffer from very hot temps.in summer like regular eriospathas do.I wonder if anybody has crossed any other Trachycarpus palms with waggies or fortuneis?I've always liked martianus,but there not cold hardy enough for here.They just look more tropical looking to me than any other Trachy.
    PS.I have been looking for manipurs for a while now.All I can find is seedlings except for one place in the U.K.They have 3gal.sizes for sale but there not cheap.Let me know if you find any manipurs for sale here in the U.S.The shipping cost from Europe for a 3gal.is expensive.Plus like you say the lack of comparable hardiness makes me weary about paying that shipping cost from Europe.
    Thanks,Randy

• User
    12 years ago

I have the following Trachys in my colection;

T. fortunei
    T. wagnerianus
    T. latisectus
    T. martianus

I can honestly say, I like fortunei best. One reason is that it shows the best growth rate. I prefer fortuneis whose leaves don't bend down.--I still don't know if this bending is a genetic thing or environmental.--My mature ones don't show this but they are largely wind protected. Not crazy about the rigid leaves on wagnerianus but heck, in zones 7-8 it's not like there are 100's of options. Martianus is attractive but not cold hardy enough for me and mine is currently not really large enough to compare it to the fortunei in appearance. Thanks for posting.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm