Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting Young Palm - Propogation from Seedling Cutting

Posted by auri 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 21:56

There was a small palm that grew from seed, between a sidewall edge & a vertical wall. Basically growing under the concrete from a tiny crack. I watered it well about 1 hour before. I tried to pull it out gently with the roots intact, but instead the fronds began to tear slightly. I realized it would not pull out, and had it cut at a 90 degree angle very close to the root ball, but did not get any of the fine hair roots, only the 1" wide white stem that looks like the end of an onion.

This palm wouldve died or cracked the concrete in it's location. Right now it's in a glass of water by the window. Whats's the best way to get it to grow fine roots from this cutting?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting Young Palm - Propogation from Seedling Cutting

Also, I pulled up 2 smaller seedlings successfully, with the roots intact. I put them into a pot with 50% perlite & 50% peat soil, so far they're doing pretty decent.

I'm wanting to develop this cutting with roots like these little guys. . .
Here's the picture:

o

From what I understand

Palms are monocots and usually will not root from stem or leaf cuttings.

No harm in trying. There is an exception to every rule, at least in English Grammar and consequently English Law.

However there aren't any English Palms so the 'rule of exception to every rule" may not apply

o

Thank you lucky123, I'm definitely giving it a shot & will keep this post updated.

Good thing is, the 2 small ones in the pot already have their original roots. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the one in the water, that I had to cut : S

o

Hi
know what kind of palm?? Most palms will only grow from the embryo contained in the seed often taking months or years to develop their own root system Exceptions are palms that "clump' having multiple growth heads they will sometimes strike from root divisions,. Without roots i doubt it BUT you have nothing to lose ?? Good luck gary

o

It's always a matter of "no harm in trying", but your chances would be less than about a hundred zillion to ....... well, less than 1. You've done sort of the equivalent of giving a man a haircut, throwing away the body and keeping the hair. What you've got will stay alive for a while like a cut flower. But nothing will come of it. The 2 with the roots should be okay.

o

@garyfla The 2 with roots are queen palm, bc they were growing a few yards away from the mother. Not sure about the cut one, it came from a friend's pool area, across the street were some decades-old palms taller than the houses, thats my best guess for origination?

@ tropicbreezezent That's a great analogy ^.^ I attempted to wound the bottom of the cutting yesterday, and its just like layers of an onion inside, so I think you're spot on. It seems immatureleaves were pretty much all we have.

o

Hi
have a few thousand Queen seedlings if you'd like some ?? Mine are trying to take over the world. I've heard they can be eaten but haven't tried would be a partial solution . lol palm seeds are so much fun to work with and also very frustrating , Can't resist collecting seeds and experimenting.. have a dozen types coming along and no place to put them lol good luck gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here