Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auri_gw

Rooting Young Palm - Propogation from Seedling Cutting

auri
9 years ago

There was a small palm that grew from seed, between a sidewall edge & a vertical wall. Basically growing under the concrete from a tiny crack. I watered it well about 1 hour before. I tried to pull it out gently with the roots intact, but instead the fronds began to tear slightly. I realized it would not pull out, and had it cut at a 90 degree angle very close to the root ball, but did not get any of the fine hair roots, only the 1" wide white stem that looks like the end of an onion.

This palm wouldve died or cracked the concrete in it's location. Right now it's in a glass of water by the window. Whats's the best way to get it to grow fine roots from this cutting?

Comments (7)

• auri
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also, I pulled up 2 smaller seedlings successfully, with the roots intact. I put them into a pot with 50% perlite & 50% peat soil, so far they're doing pretty decent.

I'm wanting to develop this cutting with roots like these little guys. . .
    Here's the picture:

• lucky123
    9 years ago

From what I understand

Palms are monocots and usually will not root from stem or leaf cuttings.

No harm in trying. There is an exception to every rule, at least in English Grammar and consequently English Law.

However there aren't any English Palms so the 'rule of exception to every rule" may not apply

• auri
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you lucky123, I'm definitely giving it a shot & will keep this post updated.

Good thing is, the 2 small ones in the pot already have their original roots. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the one in the water, that I had to cut : S

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

Hi
    know what kind of palm?? Most palms will only grow from the embryo contained in the seed often taking months or years to develop their own root system Exceptions are palms that "clump' having multiple growth heads they will sometimes strike from root divisions,. Without roots i doubt it BUT you have nothing to lose ?? Good luck gary

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

It's always a matter of "no harm in trying", but your chances would be less than about a hundred zillion to ....... well, less than 1. You've done sort of the equivalent of giving a man a haircut, throwing away the body and keeping the hair. What you've got will stay alive for a while like a cut flower. But nothing will come of it. The 2 with the roots should be okay.

• auri
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@garyfla The 2 with roots are queen palm, bc they were growing a few yards away from the mother. Not sure about the cut one, it came from a friend's pool area, across the street were some decades-old palms taller than the houses, thats my best guess for origination?

@ tropicbreezezent That's a great analogy ^.^ I attempted to wound the bottom of the cutting yesterday, and its just like layers of an onion inside, so I think you're spot on. It seems immatureleaves were pretty much all we have.

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

Hi
    have a few thousand Queen seedlings if you'd like some ?? Mine are trying to take over the world. I've heard they can be eaten but haven't tried would be a partial solution . lol palm seeds are so much fun to work with and also very frustrating , Can't resist collecting seeds and experimenting.. have a dozen types coming along and no place to put them lol good luck gary

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery