Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicbreezent

Golden fronds

tropicbreezent
11 years ago

Only really noticed this last night although I walk past often. The palm frond seemed to glow in the artificial light, but daytime it's not so noticeable. Thought it would be interesting to see how it came out with camera flash.

Comments (9)

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is a dying frond, so the effect will ...... well, die. But it's nice they way it's holding this golden colour for so long. I do have an Adonidia that naturally has fronds that colour but it's still quite small (and kept small by catepillars chewing off the leaflets).

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    Interesting how long palms will hold onto a dying frond . Or how long they will last just laying on the ground . Most plants cast off dying leaves very quickly but palms make a big production out of it lol Queens are particularly irksome as they never seem to cast off dead fronds Petticoat palms are another if untended they will end up with more dead than alive fronds. They do make great habitats for rats lol gary

• LagoMar
    11 years ago

It is actually healthy for the palm to keep the dying leaf on the tree until it is completely brown including the branch. The tree pulls nutrients from the dying leaf.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Wow, really nice pics! Usually when I see a yellow frond I cut it off immediately, but it seems like they kind of have their own beauty to them. Even dead palm fronds look nice in species like Washingtonias where they all hang down as a "skirt".
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for looking in, and the comments. Quite often palm fronds go from a green to brown very rapidly. I have lots of those to deal with. But a few are still a golden yellow even when they fall. Don't know what causes it, there's no consistency. And as Gary said, those that retain a 'skirt' of dead leaves provide a habitat for wild life. And they have their own appeal as well. Fortunately for me, I have quite a few pythons around the place so rats don't get to be a problem. And the fronds themselves, I chop them up for mulch. So it all works out well.

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    Florida now has established colonies of Pythons also.
    Somehow i think of them more of a problem than the rats lol. So much for the myth thay can't survive the florida winter. Much debate about their feral diet but they certainly get large enough to eat dogs and small children.
    That's not such a big deal BUT there is video of one eating an american crocodile!! now that's bad news
    Hopefully the weather will keep them from moving north?? gary

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We only have the native pythons here and fortunately no one has released any of the exotics. Definitely not good about the American Crocodile. It's already under threat from people and their activities. And ironically not a lot of people even know about their existance. I guess to them anything that looks like an Alligator is an Alligator.

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    Well in my tiny yard 50x75 I have Knight and Cuban anoles,House geckoes, cane toads ,Senegal and Monk parrots . Budgerigars and Bulbuls lol So far I've not seen iguanas or nile monitors but have been captured in my neighborhood. They recently drained a nearby pond and of 82 species of fish only 3 were native lol
    Don't understand why people buy these things and then turn them loose?? The list of invasive plants is mind boggling. Will take a greater mind than mine for a solution . Australia must have a hundred times the problem ?? gary

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Our quarantine people (AQIS) are often referred to as "nazis" and "gestapo", which is unfortunate as they're doing their job, and they're doing it pretty well. I don't know of any exotic reptile invasives other than Asian House Geckos. We do have the Cane Toad now though, which has been a real ecological disaster. Down south they do have rabbits and foxes (too hot up here for those). Cats are a big problem everywhere, from tropical jungles, deserts and snow covered mountains. Rats and mice came in on sailing ships and are everywhere. Feral pigs are a disaster everywhere. Down south they also have a few introduced birds, like Ostrich, Sparrows, Indian Mynahs, Starlings, but it's too hot up here for those. The Cattle Egret is believed to have come in on the masts of sailing ships, so is self introduced. Lot of insects were introduced, the Cabbage Butterfly (accidentally) and Monarch Butterfly (self introduced) but those are only in the colder parts. A lot of other insects. Fire Ants they believe they've eradicated from Brisbane, the only place found so far. Most weed plants were ornamentals or pasture plants.

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures