Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
us_marine

Update- coconut palms Aug 14th

us_marine
12 years ago

The summer here in California has been colder than average. Shockingly my coconut has fairly good growth for the cooler temps as well as being transplanted. One thing I can say about coconut palms- they are tough!

My coconut palm-This one is doing well. A new spear is already coming up fast.

This one looks like it wont make it :(

Aside from the one above,I dont think they really mind the dry climate-low humidity. As long as temps are warm and you water properly.

- US_Marine

Comments (8)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Your first coco looks so nice! And dont be surprised if the second one does survive. I had a ton of burn on my coconut 2 springs ago because it was in a very dry room over the winter and I kept cleaning the fronds with rubbing alcohol to get rid of the scale (which actually worked!). But I thought it was going to rot and die, but after just over months of being outside (it was late june 2010), I saw a frond coming out and it grew like crazy from that point on!
    This year my cocos have been growing slower than usual. Each of them only put out 2 fronds. I think they are starting to get too big for the pots they are in.

Thanks for sharing! Its a challenge to get them growing in Cali, but with watering and some extra care, it seems like they actually arent too much work!
    -Alex

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

Is that last one the cocos from your earlier post? Poor little guy. I hope it makes it.
    How tall is the cocos in your first pic? Also,what kind?
    Nice palms! They are nice!
    -Hunter

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

When I had coconut palms I would increase the apparent humidity for the palms when they were inside for the winter. Forced air heating really dries the inside air. I would mist the coconut several times a day (at least before and after work). Some orchid growers will put a tray of pebbles filled with water under their plants. The pebbles keep the pot out of the water, so it can evaporate up into the plant. You could try a modified version of that.

• ericthehurdler
    12 years ago

your first coconut looks really good. Im also from northern cali and have been bringing my coconut inside everynight to protect it from the chilly coastal fog so far it has grown 3 fronds in the past year. what part of northern california are you from?

• us_marine
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone :)

@ tropicalzone7- I think this one isnt going to make it because the spear thats opening is dying and is blocking the way for a new one to come up. Its possible it can make it but I am not so sure, only time will tell. Its a shocker to hear your coconut's arn't growing so fast with how hots it been over there. I think you are right, they need some more root space. How big is the container they are in?

@ Hunter_M- Yeah the last coconut is from the other post. I hope it makes it, but it doesnt look good. I think mine is a golden malayan, not sure though. Mine is almost 3ft tall. The one that might die is from hawaii, green variety probably pacific tall. How is your coconut doing?

@ wetsuiter- Yeah, I mist them alot when I take them in for winter, this will be the 1st winter for the ones above though.

@ ericthehurdler- The valley. Nice coconut! Reminds me of my first coconut. Before I got the ones above I had one for about 4 years that was a little bigger and had a few more fronds. It died this year form an unknown cause. My best guess is the root heating cabels I had shocked the palm to death :( After it died I dug it up to see if it had root rot. The roots seemed pretty strong so I cant say for sure what happend, but the cabels were burnt and falling apart.

Heres the pic of my first coconut palm- had this one for about 4 years. This pic is actually a few days before it died :( Notice how healthy it was, and then boom.

Thanks everyone! Goood luck :)
    - US_Marine

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

US_Marine: My cocos is doing fine,Im just waiting for the fronds to split. Its 5 feet tall and no splitting yet.:( Im looking for a second coconut palm to invest in, and I really like the looks of yours. I like the yellow around the trunk.
    -Hunter

• us_marine
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thats good to hear. Your coconut look like a tall, and it shouldn't be long before it starts growing mature fronds. Mine is very young still, but they dont take long to mature once they start taking off :) Mine has grown 1 frond and a spear so far (got this one sometime in late june or early july and transplanted it soon after). Not bad growth, cant wait for it to take off next summer. Its always nice to have a coconut or two :)

- US_Marine

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Us_marine, both my cocos are in a 3 gallon pot. I think next June or so I'll re-plant it in at least a 5 - 10 gallon pot so its roots have some room to stretch out!
    -Alex

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor