Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveplants22

Planted my Agave in the ground...what a job!!!

Hello Everyone,

I finally planted my huge Agave in the ground today. It was on the list of things to do before my son went back to college!!! LOL He had to help!! Needless to say, we all have new piercings all over us!!!

I also wanted to post the pic for JIm....is this a Thai giant? The nursery where i bought it didnt have a clue when i asked them..So maybe you can see what u think?

Thanks for looking...i aslo included some of the new Plumeria blooms...I know a few on here like these guys too!

Take care everyone...

Laura in VB

{{gwi:11753}}

Take care everyone,

Laura in VB

Comments (13)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I really love the way that agave looks in the ground! I think its going to do very well and Im sure your happy that you dont have to worry about carrying that sharp plant in every year. I can relate with my bougainvillea and agave, but my agave is a bit smaller than yours, and like you, I always cut the thorns off before it goes inside for the year (it also gives me an idea of how much it grew indoors and outdoors).
    I think I can help with the elephant ear ID. Its probably an Alocasia Calidora. They are personally one of my favorites! They get a trunk in warm climates and can also get a trunk in pots as well!
    Beautiful plumeria pics! What are the names of the last 2 in your photos? The 2 types of plumerias that bloomed for me this year (my divine and just as of this week my NO ID) have pretty small flowers in comparison to the blooms in your pics! I also really like the color of the last one. Right now Im going to probably go outside and check on my plumerias because we got 8.44 inches of rain in my yard today (a lot of it came all at once) so Im hoping it didnt knock the blooms off.
    Your palms are looking amazing as always!! Defintiely some of the nicest in VB!
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

I have a large blue agave and contemplating what to do with it. It's probably the 10th generation descendant of one I brought home from a vacation to California in 1976 when I was a little older than Hunter.

I may drag it in one last winter and plant it after salvaging more babies. I doubt it would survive our winter from what I've read about them.

Thanks for sharing Laura.

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

Wow, probably the largest pot grown agave I have seen. It should fill out much nicer in the ground. Great lookin blooms on the plumeria. Your palms are looking great, I hate to see that the harsh winters is striping the boots off the palmettos.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello EVeryone,

Alex,

Thanks for the id on the Elephant Ears. I really wanted the Thai Giant,, but this guy is growing nice and tall so im really happy that i planted it in the ground when i bought it.

That Agave...oh, my!!! I have brought it in for so many years...i figured it was time. I should have repotted it sooner in the ground, but im sure it will do fine. I will probably have to protect it this year, but thats ok! As far as piercng...yikes... LOL...this plants is lethal!!! You need to have these babies around all of your windows to prevent anyone wanting to get in. LOL!!!
    The id on those Plumeria. The third pic from the bottom is a J-105 and the other above the J-105 is a noid pink. the pic forth from the top is a Lani. She is a beauty!!! I would reccommend this as a must have!!!

Vince,

I have had this AGave in this same container for about ten years. It is a very specal Agave. Someone who i used to work with was also into plants, he gave me this small baby before he passed. So, i have been so happy to see it get so big and healthy. But i know it can do more once in the ground. I did root prune this bad boy, then i popped it in the ground. Like i said to Alex, i will have to protect it this winter, but its worth it. Very sentimental to me, thats partly why i wanted it to continue to grow, it seems to have stalled and it needs the room to grow.

When my son would come home from college, he knew that was the first chore for him...LOL Take the Agave outside!!! He and i would drag it on a beach towel to slide it outside. I would always break some of the leaves, but how else can you control those nasty thorns?

Good luck !!!!

Chadec,

Thanks for the comments... it was a huge monster!!! But i love it!!! MY neighbor has one planted outside that is enormous!!! I just hope mine will finally grow like it wants to!!! I did limit its growth by keeping it root bound and never root pruning it. You should have seen the way we had to get it out of the pot!!! LOL IT took three of us to finally get it out, we only had a few new piercings on our arms and legs..LOL

Thanks for the compliments on the Plumeria. I am addicted to them as well!

The "boots" are naturally coming off of the trees. They are just growing and then they start to fall off. So when i start to clean them up, its like pulling the puzzle piece apart. they all want to follow. But they are doing great!!!

Take care everyone,

Laura in VB

• dixieboy
    12 years ago

Every thing looks great Laura!! Somebody has a big green thumb!! Looks as though that winter snow storm is just a distant memory!! Thanks for sharing the pics!

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

I understand sentimental attachments to plants. I guess with my agave, knowing that It's a virtual clone of the first small one I brought back from my friend's house in San Diego so many years ago. I don't really have a nice sunny spot in my garden. Any just how do you winter protect a thorny beast like that?

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Certainly not Colocasia,probably as Alex said
    or Borneo giant...possibly.

My Thai giant was snapped off in a wind storm,still alive and
    growing but halved by the wind. )-:

Your Agave should thicken up quite a bit being planted out.
    Mine is looking good...I dig it up every year 0:
    I learned last year(after I dug it up)to cut off the horizontal leaves!

• trishmick
    12 years ago

Can I just sit (or lay) in your backyard with a cooler full of ice cold Heineken and some Buffet playing in the background?

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Thanks Laura for those ID's! I'll definitely be looking for a Lani Plumeria!

-Alex

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

Hi Laura,

I bet it was some job planting that giant. It was heavy with big roots I'm sure. The agave grows fast and it should grow large pretty fast. What big plumeria blooms too!

Where'd you buy the green house and was it hard to assemble?

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to say hello and that i missed this thread...probably because i have been so busy in the friendly skies!!! LOL... WHew..not real friendly anymore!!! LOL...

Dixie,

Thank you so much for your kind comments...you know that i love your yard...How did your house weather Irene? Did your yard flood? What kind of damage.. i hope all is well with you all...i was thinking of you while we were having the same here in VB. I do love my plants/trees (Plumies) and of course my palms. I did pick up another one last week from a vendor, it was a deal!!! But i made the mistake of having my hubby help me with it out of the car...LOL "What are u going to do with that?" LOL

Oh well...it could be worse...i could have a problem with shoes or clothes...LOL

Vince,

You should have witnessed the procession every year bringing in the "beast" inside the house. It poked evryone and anything... I finally decided it was time to plant it outside. I had enough of bringing it in and out. This AGave is very sentimental to me, you all know how our plants have such meaning when passed down from friends.
    I will protect it this winter with frostcloth and lights if neccessary.

Jin,
    Thank you for the ID..i wasnt sure what it was, the greenhouse had no clue and i was hoping it was what u had.
    It really has doubled in size since it was planted.
    The AGave will do alright outside this year...(hopefully) and ill watch it carefully....

Trishmick,

Coolers are always welcome as well as visitors to my house!!! LOL...Buffet will be playing or maybe even Zac Brown...anything will work!!! DOnt even need to bring chairs..i have plenty!!!!

Alex,

Lani is a must have... i have enjoyed this beauty all summer. I have several that are blooming now. It has been the best summer for my inflos...Im a happy camper!! : )

I hope all is well with you!!!

Did u have any damage?

Greg,

It really was a job geting this bad boy planted...but thsnk goodness that my son was home from College and my Hubby helped...they only had a few "pokes" LOL

We purchased this "Sunglow" greenhouse from Costco.

I really love it and will get great use this fall and winter, but as far as putting it together...well, the only thing i can say is..:NEVER AGAIN" LOL it was a lot of work. It was just my hubby and myself doing the job.

I became very handy with the tools and the rivet gun!! LOL

But it was a lot of work....if you were to ask my DH, he would have a few other things to say about putting up another one...LOL!!! "NO WAY"

Take care everyone...

Laura in VB

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Everything is going well here Laura. I had some minor plant damage (shredded banana leaves, fig tree got tossed to the ground, and many potted plants fell down and rolled around), but I brought in my Plumeria and dozens of other plants so they were safe and had no damage.
    Good luck! Glad things are well by you!
    -Alex

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    12 years ago

Great pics Laura.

I love the sculptural look of Agave, but after helping a friend's Mom, in Florida, remove her 7-foot Agave, I would never plant one! Too dangerous!

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals