Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cuja1

end of summer pics

Jeff Ashenfelter
11 years ago

I was out weeding and cleaning up the yard today and I had to take some pics. I really love my crepe myrtle dynamite when it flowers. Also in this pic is some sort of yucca, I bought in Carbondale IL. I think its a yucca gloriosa but I'm not sure (anyone know?). Here it is:

My Musa basjoo has caught the eyes of many passerbys:

strangely noone understands how easy they are to grow here.

Here's a palm I've had since 1996. Mexican fan palm I think. I was on vacation for 2 weeks and noone watered it so it looks bad:

My new windmill palm:

flowering cactus:

papya grown from seed that I probably killed today trying to transplant it:

My small cactus garden, the yucca rostrata has grown alot this year:

Not so good quality picture of my needle palm with a hibiscus and yucca color guard:

I wanted a purple hibiscus but now that it's flowered, I'm liking the way it looks with the white fence behind it.

Hesperaloe parviflora I bought in Tampa:

Thanks for looking!

Jeff

Comments (12)

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Your plants look great...sorry to hear your summer is over....

We have a month left here(-; but it has looked/felt a little like fall lately
    with all the leaf fall from the drought and a week of lows in the 50s....

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Nice pics! That basjoo clump is really impressive! Im sure it will be flowering soon! And the cacti flower is really nice too!
    I doubt you killed your papaya while transplanting. I planted my papaya in the ground last year and it got to 6 feet tall by the end of the summer. Unfortunately it was growing by my palms so I couldnt dig the roots out very well and barely got any of the roots. By that point it was early October and I left it outside in a pot for a few weeks hoping it would get a little established. It barely did and it lost all it's leaves. But indoors it started growing again and then I accidentally broke the plant in half when removing it outdoors this spring, but it still grew back. So papayas are pretty hardy, Im sure yours will pull through!
    -Alex

• Jeff Ashenfelter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oops! sorry for pronouncing the end of summer prematurely. At least it's good to know we still have a good stretch of warm weather left.

Alex, do you think I could get bananas on my musa basjoo this year?

Anyone know if the yucca in the picture is yucca gloriosa?

Jeff

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Probably a little early for fruit this year, but if it starts off next year with that amount of psudostem, some bananas are definitely a possibility!!

And your yucca is definitely gloriosa!

-Alex

• Jeff Ashenfelter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Alex. I was comparing it to other things I saw on the net but still wasn't sure.

• chadec
    11 years ago

Nice pics, love the cactus bed. Do you plan on planting your trachy?

That yucca could be gloriosa or yucca aloilfolia marginata. I have both and I couldn't remember which was which till aloifolia started forming a trunk.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Y.Gloriosa...looks like it may be big enough to flower next year.

• Jeff Ashenfelter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks chadec!
    I'm planning on planting the trachy next spring on the other side of the crepe myrtle. By my estimates its the warmest microclimate in my yard, protected from North and West winds and its closest to the corner and next to a dryer vent. We'll see how it goes. My parents brought it back from Branson MO in one of the blue pots.

• catkim
    11 years ago

I enjoy seeing all the different gardens around the country. Everyone has a fresh take on tropicalismo. :-) Thanks for sharing your garden.

• Steve Gall
    8 years ago

Can you post a recent photo of the windmill palm? I'm curious how different it looks from when you posted this originally.

• Jeff Ashenfelter
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I wish I could. I had it out one summer and it rained a lot. That summer it got spear pull (I thought you only get that from the winter cold). I guess the excess moisture rotted the crown.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting