Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Floribunda Palms

Posted by lzrddr 91360 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 2, 10 at 1:46

I know there is not too much interest in palms that are not cold hardy on this forum, but just in case anyone likes to see tropical palms now and then, I thought I'd show a few of the palms growing at Jeff Marcus's place in Hawaii (Floribunda Palms and Exotics)...

Areca catechu dwarfs

Areca catechu dwarfs JM

Bactris milataris

Photobucket

Basselinia humboltiana

Basselinia humboltiana JM

Burretiokentia grandiflora

Burretiokentia grandiflora JM

Row of Carpolxyons

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Floribunda Palms

I love these pictures and tropical palms. I find them the most challenging as a northerner. Are those all pups underneatht the Basselina? It's amazing to me how those fronds look like juvenile coconit leaves.

o

I have a huge interest in tropical palms! I jsut cant grow them outdoors! Those palms in your pics are beautiful! Betel Nut palms were always one of my favorites and I love to see the rare palms.
Where in hawaii is this? Im going to guess the big island.
Good luck!
-Alex

o

Jeff's a great guy, and I've talked to him on the phone a few times about his experiences cultivating Beccariophoenix. He's really got a great garden, and sells stuff so cheap at his nursery it's unbelievable. I highly recommend watching this video tour of his garden

http://palmpedia.net/wiki/index.php/MARCUS_GARDEN_TOUR

o

those tours are indeed worth watching and many palms I myself had never heard of are shown in detail... amazing photos and incredible stuff... really makes me want to move to Hawaii... no idea how to afford to live there. These are all from the east side of the Big Island, southwest of Hilo in a rocky area prone to flash flooding and potential lava flows. Also an area that sees droughts now and then (bad if rain is your primary source of water and you grow thousand and thousands of palms). But Jeff manages to do it.

Here are a few more photos

Ravenea sambiranensis
Ravenea sambiranensis JM

Ravenea musicalis, normally growing in water, but drought going on at the time... still, it looks pretty happy
Photobucket

Ravenea albicans, supposedly does well in my climate, but a hard palm to find
Ravenea albicans JM

Wettinia hirsuta (a very colorful palm)
Wettinina hirsuta JM

Sallaca magnifica (looks better when not photographed on a sunny day)
Photobucket

Veilonia alba (now called Cyphophoenix alba... I think)
Photobucket

o

• Posted by butiaman 7b Douglasville,GA. (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 3, 10 at 20:18

It looks like paradise to me.I can only dream of living in a place like that.When I think of heaven,that's what I think it looks like,at least to me :)

o

I LOVE those dwarf catechu's. Top 3 favorite palms. They must love that black volcanic soil as well as the temps in Hawaii.

o

Thanks for sharing the palm photos. This forum is for all sorts of palms and ideas.

I can really see almost an Asian style in some of the trunks and leaves. Its amazing how many varieties there are.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here