Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindenska

Whats the best indoor soil mix?

lindenska
11 years ago

What mix are you guys using for indoor palms? I looked online and saw several suggestions from various websites. Here's 4 of them.

- I use equal parts perlite and Turface.

- I use the Miracle gro blend for Cactus, palms, and citrus.

- 40% topsoil, 30-35% pine bark(the more fine variety), and some peat moss or plain sand(whatever is on hand).

- 5.1.1 (5 parts bark, 1 part peat, and 1 part perlite)

What are you guys using?

Comments (12)

• RichardC7
    11 years ago

I've heard that a non organic soil is best because it wont decay over time... but I use 1/3 soil 2/3 sand with my Christmas Palm.

• bradleyo_gw
    11 years ago

I would never use topsoil in a potting mix. I prefer the pre-made mixes. My favorite is Metro-Mix 510. the Metro-Mix 360 is way to light, fine and peaty of a mix. I also like Pro-Mix BX as a cheaper alternative.

• lindenska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Richard, is that something new that you're trying or have you been using that mix? for the 1/3 soil, do you just regular potting mix?

Bradley, someone reccommended the promix 4442p loose. I'll have to look for the bx next time. Have you used that pro mix soil?

• lindenska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

edit: Also, do you use any sand or some special kind?

• bradleyo_gw
    11 years ago

I would not get the loose, the compressed is much more cost effect. It's difficult to use because you have to break it apart and then moisten it to the right consistency, but you can get the compressed for about $20-25 for 3.8 cu.ft. compressed. I do a lot of potting though and probably got through 5 bags of that or so per year. If you fertilize, mix and moisten in a wheel barrow, it make for a nice portable potting station.

• RichardC7
    11 years ago

I'm trying the sand for the first time, and so far, its been great! (outside in the summer though) but i just got the palm so it hasnt been inside yet. But i do remember getting a Majesty Palm once that was somewhat like that.

• catkim
    11 years ago

Do any of you use coconut coir? I'm using it for the first time for some of my potted up seedlings, but outdoors. I mixed it about 1:1:1 with a generic bagged potting mix and cinder soil.

• lindenska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

what kind of sand? any kind? play sand?
    1/3 any kind of soil?

• User
    11 years ago

No, not the fine play sand. You want coarse, builder's sand. But I usually have a hard time finding the stuff. It was not in my local HD's garden center or the contruction aisle-- where they only had the fine, play sand! And although I incorporate coarse sand into the mix, I personally wouldn't use 2/3 sand. To me, 1/3 sand is a very sandy soil--for palms. Not saying they won't grow in it. Palms seems adaptable to a range of soil types.

• RichardC7
    11 years ago

Yeah, i used pavers sand which is about 3 dollars a bag at Lowes by the rocks. my tree is outside in a pot, so i want ALOT of drainage, thats why i put so much sand!

• lindenska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ok. Thanks. I'll look for pavers sand at Lowe's.

njoasis, what are you using inside? something less than 1/3, maybe 1/6 sand? 5/6 regular potting soil?

I just want an all-round basic palm soil indoors mix. (need it for a spindle and those fishtail/foxtails and lady palms).

• User
    11 years ago

Lindenska, all my palms are outside. I buy potting mix (not MG), then add orchid bark, perlite, and coarse sand.--1/6 sand sounds about right. I mix it up more by feel/touch rather than measuring though. The mix is very different for cycads though, where I use more orchid bark and perlite. Also, for some of the palms that seem to like frequent watering I will use up to 1/3 sand.