Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garyfla_gw

Cassia roxburghii

garyfla_gw
10 years ago

Hi
grew this from seed started in 01 First time it has flowered the only other one I've seen (Fairchild ) had brilliant red flowers . While flowers are not too impressive
it does make a lacy shaded effect and the epiphytes seem to like it Hopefully it will not seed like other cassias??
gary

Comments (5)

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

A Cassia not seedling a lot? It would be drummed out of the genus in shame!

I collected some Bauhinia seed from an abandoned tree. In a couple of years they were taller than me and flowering prolifically. And then they started seeding. I got scared, cut off the flowers and seed pods, then cut out the trees. Bought myself a blakeana which is knee high and flowering well. And not a sign of a seed. Those mass seeders are not worth the trouble they bring.

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi*
    Well if it produces seed it sure not common lol Only other one I've seen is at Fairchild gdns and it was brilliant red so maybe I don't have roxburghii ?? Flowers opened pink/yellow and matured into a burnt orange color
    I like it for the light lacy sjhade it produces have planted
    phals ,maxilaria and brassidium orchids Saving a spot between the two for Cochlistemma jacobiana (false bromeliad > Searched for years for one of these . It can either stay in the pot or climb the tree . very excited about this oner lol
    Crossing fingers about the seeds almost ideal for epiphytes !!

• Central_Cali369
    10 years ago

I have a seedling Roxburghii I grew from seed earlier this summer. I don't know if it will survive during our winter here but It's worth a try. I wonder if the color becomes brighter with age.

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi
    Have noted this one starts like the pic and ages to a burnt orange . Whilel the color is variable not to the degree of the "Rainbow cassia and apparently does not flower in chains. since there are over 600 types of cassia (senna) plus hybrids not really sure it is a" Roxbughii" lol looks nothing like the only one I've seen lol hope you don't have to wait 12 years for a flower lol Mine has survived temps as low as 27 for around 3 hours but it completely defoliated and took several months to recover. Good luck !!! gary

• bahia
    10 years ago

All of the on-line data seems to indicate the flower color can range from pink to red to orange, variable from seed. Unlikely to tolerate California winters, but may just be possible in warmest zone 11 locations in southern California. They might have this at the Fullerton Cal State University Arboretum.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida