Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Droopy Fronds on Dypsis Lutescens

Posted by aneeq247 none (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 7:16

Hi all. I have this areca palm/ golden cane palm (dypsis lutescens) that hasnt been doing so well. It has weak droopy fronds. Anyone know why?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Droopy Fronds on Dypsis Lutescens

Here's my second one that seems to be doing all right.

o

2 things

1 the palm should not be growing in standing water. Let the pot dry out before watering.

2 the light green color might indicate a magnesium deficiency so feed with some epson salt

o

I'm guessing based on the look of the standing water, that you either used clay like soil straight from the ground or some really cheap bag-based "topsoil". Potted plants need to have light, loose, well draining potting mixes. I like Pro-mix and Metro-Mix , but Metro-mix tends to be more expensive. Miracle-Gro makes a pretty good product that's cheap, but I'm organic, so I no longer use it.

o

Standing water is really terrible. Looks like the soil is all clay and has no drainage.

o

As above. It is goin to die sooner rather than later if left sitting in that mud bath. Transplant ASAP into a soil that has drainage.

o

I'd have to agree, Golden Canes are more drought proof than they are flood proof.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here