Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dixieboy_gw

Rain makes the difference!

dixieboy
12 years ago

Been gett'in a whole lot more than we were early spring & summer, that which comes from above is magical! 5 pics

{{gwi:1136555}}

The grass looks much better green than that other color.

{{gwi:1125623}}

Butia fruit has been com'in off like clock work in the last week or two. Very sweet with an orange/banana flavor.

{{gwi:1124531}}

'Nainital' trachycarpus.

{{gwi:1153384}}

Serenoa & minor blend in well with live oak, excuse the glare, shot taken from inside our house.

{{gwi:1125622}}

Comments (17)

• andyandy
    12 years ago

Everything looks great. Rain is the key. Two weeks ago my lawn was brouwn and dormant. It's nice and green now. I'd love to be able to try the butia fruit. It sounds good. Keep it up, your yard looks awesome.

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Andy, the rain was really missed when the plug was in.
    The butia fruit was a little tart when the tree was in a younger stage but the last few years the fruit has became much sweeter.
    Love our red crepes!
    {{gwi:1145617}}

• chachacharlie
    12 years ago

Love the first picture, reminds me of tropical rain in my native Panama. I miss pounding rain, and I wish we had more here in Los Angeles. Things do look cleaner, healthier and just happier with fresh sky water. You have really nice trees too! Plant more palms! :)

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

PanamaJack, ha, that thrills me to be referenced to central america! Yes, when our rain had been shut off from what usually falls, you know your babies out in the yard are yearn'in for a drink of the magic stuff. Thanks

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

Everything is looking great. Bet when that rain fell you could see your yard change instantly.

• earthworm73
    12 years ago

@Dixieboy man ya yard looks great. Palmetto in the rain is my fav pic.
    @Chadec I think I read something to the affect that there is nitrogen in rain water so that might explains the instant change after a storm.

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Chad, it didn't take long before i could see things standing at attention & love'in the long awaited moisture.

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Glad you enjoyed the pic. There's something in that rainfall that put's an extra skip in plants for sure. Thanks for look'in!

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Nice!

We finally got some rain here a few nights
    ago,paid a steep price as some of my favorites
    were wiped out by 60+mph winds )-:

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Whoa Jim, that's a lot of wind, hope most of it will rebound for you. We here on the coast have them 'h' things to keep in the back of our minds during August & September.

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Rain? What's that? Haven't had any real rain in my Coastal Delaware garden all summer. Sad.

• butiaman
    12 years ago

Hey dixieboy,
    Glad to hear you got some rain.Is that a single trunk T.nainital in the fourth picture?If it is it has a very fat trunk,it's huge.It looks like everything is doing great for you this year.You have a great palm collection that looks like there all thriving.Bye the way,I like the crepes also.I have a big white one and a big red one,or I call it watermelon colored.Love the pics.as always.
    Randy

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Rain? What's that? Haven't had any real rain in my Coastal Delaware garden all summer. Sad.

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well i sure hope things change for you, rain surely is missed when it's so vital to your babies outside.

Yes Randy, it's a single but there is a s.palmetto behind it, makes it look bigger than it actually is, it is a nice specimen though. Would like to see a little cooler weather move in now, 90's almost every day but like 80's better! Thanks Bud!!!

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Finally got a good soaking rain this evening-- first in many weeks. Wasn't nearly enough and all the heaviest storms passes north this morning and farther south with this shower. But am grateful.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hey Dixieboy,

Great looking pictures...as usual!!! ( Big Southern Fan Here..LOL!!)

Have you ever tried to make jelly from the fruit from the Pindo..AKA Jelly Plam?

I have and its quite tasty!!!

Let me know if you want the recipe and i will send it to you....

Everything looks wonderful...isn't it great what the rain does for our lawns, trees!!! That's why i collect the rainwater and use it on my containers...Liquid gold to me!!!

Take care everyone...

Laura in VB

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey southern lady from VB, lol, trust every thing is well with you? Yes, we've tried the jelly but i have a friend in Morehead that gives us plenty.
    Rain was welcomed in this household! Trusting that it will fall in more even increments now. Thanks Laura & have a good day!