Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lady palm needs help I think

Posted by lukey23 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 9:47

Don't know what's going on had it for 3 weeks was fine until I left for the week got back from holidays and it looks like its dying

Any help would be appriciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lady palm needs help I think

does indeed. How dry is the soil? Looks like a palm that is either totally dehydrated or one that is sitting in sloggy, soupy soil (Rhapis tend to tolerate that sort of soil pretty well though for quite some time before actually rotting, so I would guess this dried out).

o

I've heard they don't like to be dry. I'm dealing with a different problem myself. They don't seem to be very wind tolerant and the trunks keep breaking.

o

They cannot be allowed to dry out. This happened to me as well once! They have less drought tolerance than most palms AND they often do not show stress until it is too late. Wind, I don't have a problem with as of yet. Mine are outside for the season (in deep shade btw) as the summer monsoon goes on and on.

P.S., mine did eventually grow out of the drought damage but it took more than a couple of years to look full again.

o

I'd think it's too dry as well. The leaflets show a bit of yellowing if there's too much water/root rot.

o

So I've watered it and been spraying it a fair bit as was told that helps
Anything else I could do to help it out or too far gone?

o

As I said above, might recover but will take time. Some trunks will just die off, some may survive. If it really recuperates, it will be from new suckering growth from below--which will be smaller plants. I would cut out anything dead at this point, make sure it does not go through more severe drought and hold off on feeding until there is some new growth. Good indoor palms with the exception that they really resent drying out and go into a quick decline if allowed to do so.

o

It will definitely just be a waiting game. The fronds that are all browned out will not get green again so you'll have to wait for new healthy fronds to emerge. If all the fronds on the plant become brown and crispy, it's a good sign that there is no chance it will recover.

Good luck with it!
-Alex

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here