Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcgyvr2009i

Can Rhapidophullym Hystrix survive spear pull?

mcgyvr2009i
11 years ago

I was just thinking about my needle palm and overwintering it. I remembered sometimes it my suffer from spear pull. Some palms like Trachycarpus Fortunei CAN survive it, but then again, others don't. I was wondering if the Rhapidophyllum Hystrix is one of those lucky palms. If it is, then GOD FORBID should I ever see that on my needle palm, how do I help it cure and grow a new leaf? What should I do? It's not having that issue currently, but some day, when I put it in the ground, I may experience it, so this thread is for if or when that happens. Thanks in advanced.

Comment (1)

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

All the palms that are considered "cold hardy" can usually recover from spear pull very well. The tropical palms (like coconut palms) do not recover from spear pull very well, but depending on the cause of spear pull, sometimes they do end up recovering.
    Needle palms are really great because if they do get spear pull and dont recover, you still have the chance for it to make baby plants since it is a clumping palm. My needle palm was unusually sensitive to cold and had spear pull in the winter of 2009-2010 (dont get your needle palms at Lowes, those are known to be sensitive to cold the first few winters in the ground). However, one of the pups did not have spear pull. I wasn't patient though so I tossed out the whole plant and planted a different palm there in Spring of 2010 (my mediterranean fan palm, which is still there to this day and is doing well). If I was patient, then the needle palm might have made a full recovery.

Needle palms are defintiely one of the most forgiving palms. And as for Trachys, they are very good at recovering from spear pull because at a young age, they can get spear pull a lot. Make sure not to expose the crown to moisture during the winter time. I have never had spear pull on my trachys from winter cold (even my unprotected one) so I do think that the tenderness of young Trachys is a little bit overstated, but one thing that is not overstated is that all palms get more cold tolerance as they age and establish themselves. No matter how established a palm is, they will never survive a zone 5b winter without protection, but they do gain a few degrees of hardiness as they age and usually spear pull is something they grow out of unless they are very badly injured from cold.

-Alex