Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcgyvr2009i

What's the most cold hardy trunking palm?

mcgyvr2009i
11 years ago

I can think of the Dwarf Chusan palm which is hardy to 0F. Is that the most cold hardy trunk palm? Are there others like that? Can any of them be grown in zone 5b with heavy winter protection? Thanks in advanced.

Comments (3)

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Trachycarpus fortunei is sometimes called a Chusan palm, so Im guessing that when you say Dwarf Chusan palm, you mean Trachycarpus wagnerianus (most people just call them "Waggies" for short). Trachycarpus Fortunei definitely is a bit more cold tolerant than Trachycarpus Wagnerianus and some say that Trachycarpus Fortunei "Nanital" and Trachycarpus Takil are more cold hardy than Fortunei, but if there is a difference in cold tolerance, it's very minimal.

Your best bet is to just get a T. Fortunei (more commonly called windmill palms). Mine survived 7F unprotected with some damage, so they are not as hardy as some websites claim, but they can definitely handle temperatures in the 10F range and mature specimens have survived temperatures in the single digits for short durations.

The one thing you learn with growing cold hardy palms in colder zones is that you can grow ANYTHING you want with protection within reason! My most tender palm is my Livistona. It wouldnt stand a chance without protection since it is considered a zone 9 palm, but it's in a great microclimate and gets protection so it survives the winter (with some damage, but very quickly recovers and looks nice again by summer).

Pindo palms, med fan palms, sabal minors, needle palms, windmill palms are all commonly grown (among people pushing the gardening limits) with protection. Once you conquer those you can start getting some more risky palms. Right now my most risky palm is my Silver Saw Palmetto which is definitely a zone 9 palm.

Once you figure out the protection methods that work best for you, you wont have too many problems getting palms to thrive in zone 5b! In my experience my cold hardy palms have been MUCH easier to care for than the tender palms that I bring in every winter. Protecting palms is a lot easier than hauling them in every winter!

Good luck!
    -Alex

• chadec
    11 years ago

I would try a sabal minor. There are ssp that trunk like sabal Louisiana, brazoria and Birmingham. At least they will remain small and easy to protect. Not sure you will enjoy protecting a windmill when its 20' tall.

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

hard to say this is not a trunking palm... that non-trunk is nearly as tall as I am (this is a California-grown Rhapidophyllum)... can't get much more cold hardy than this.