Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andyandy_gw

it's about to feel like a different planet!

andyandy
12 years ago

They are calling for a HIGH of 76 tomorrow. Thats not much warmer then most of the lows for the past 5 weeks. The low tomorrow night is supposed to be about 56 and then nothing but dry highs around 80 as far as the eye can see. I do not remember a more humid 5 weeks ever so i am ready for the break even if it does mean a major slow down in growth.

Comments (10)

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

I am looking forward to it too!
    Tired of closed windows and not being able
    to go outside and enjoy all the good stuff outside life brings.

Like you said,many high temps will be lower than the lows of late
    but the real kicker is the lower humidity!

I think we have a streak of 50+ days over 80,just have
    to see if that gets stopped on Wednesday.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Looks like we will still be in the 80s all week long (Im not ready for the 70s yet anyways), but it will be a noticable change from the weather we have been getting since it will be drier, sunnier, and probably a little windier.
    -Alex

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

For me,the lowest temp this week is wednesday. The low will be 54 degrees. Im trying to figure out when a good time to bring my plants in. Sometime in early sep. maybe?
    I dont want my tropicals exposed to any cold temps so anything lower than 50 degrees, Im bringing inside.
    -Hunter

• andyandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hunter-
    I don't think you will need to bring anything in by early September unless a real freek cool off happens. 54 is nothing to woory about. Even high 40s aren't a big deal as long as it is going to be sunny and in at least the mid 60s the next day.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    12 years ago

Thats nice weather. we finally got some rain this last weekend and yesterday. good amount too. They are saying we will finally break the "heat dome" that has been over us. Highs only in the high 90's instead of 110. Thanks goodness. My broad leaf tropicals, bananas mostly were getting sunburned bad. Our state set the all time US record for the hottest July average ever, even hotter than texas and arizona. Not sure if we should be proud or disgusted.

• andyandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mksmith-
    it seems odd the be looking forward to mid 90s as a break. We had one day hit 99 and have a heat index of 109. I thought that blew. July was the hottest month ever in Detroit and depending on who you listen to we did not hit 100 once. We had two days hit 99 but did have 15 days 90+ (17 is the record). The difference were the warm overnight lows. We had about 8 strait days not drop below 70 and that is very unusual. Enjoy your cool down, it sounds like the heart of Texas is still going to be broiling.

• earthworm73
    12 years ago

Hey andy welcome to my world. Sounds like yall are about to get a taste of Seattle summer. That's exactly what our normal summers feel like. Warm, long sunny days, very low humidity, and really dry. All of my palms and tropicals don't mind and even my heat lovers seem to not mind the relatively low heat. Enjoy it while you can and eh have a iced latte on me.

• User
    12 years ago

Still torrid and tropical here. Loved the torrential downpours today--really needed. Still hot and humid tomorrow--low 90's. Modified, Canadian air mass will reach the Mid-Atlantic later in the week with moderate humidity and highs in the mid 80s's/lows around 70. Getting into late Summer now and the infamous Bermuda high is likely to become more of a factor than the 'heat dome' in the middle of the country. Grass was mowed today for the first time in week---a sign of the increased moisture and lower temps. Fall can be quite warm (even hot) here so not really thinking about bring anything in. Enjoy the drier air while it lasts--it is AUGUST.

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    12 years ago

Goodness this can't come soon enough. I'm so sick of the 95+ degree heat and super high humidity with dewpoints in the 70s and 80s. This week has not been as bad, at least lower humidity, but still getting up to 95-97. Also at least we had a few days too with very tropical downpours and picked up enough rain to put us back on track for being normal in stead of in the D0 'abnormally dry' conditions as well. They were very tropical in nature too. The kind of downpours with enormous fat half dollar sized drops, and the kind that moved slow. It reminded me of florida because you could hear it coming a block away. It would start at the end of the street and slowly move up. Or start in the back yard and you could watch it. Literally it would be pouring 50 feet away and you would be bone dry and watch the wall of water move slowly towards you. So cool!

Hopefully yesterday was the last day for that for a WHILE. The next 5-7 days should be between 82-85 with nights in the mid to upper 60s, and not as oppressive humidity. That would be a pretty incredible stroke of luck for D.C. in August! Last summer and this summer have been two of the hottest on record here, and the humidity has been off the charts. dewpoints in the 80s and nighttime lows in the mid 80s is a bit ridiculous. What is the use in having a nice summer and nice weather if you can't get/ be outside and enjoy it? As some know I was considering a move to Florida, but honestly I think that has now changed. True it is HOTTER here where I live during summer (not by much), and just as humid, but down there its 95-99F every day, with extreme humidity for 6 months on end. I would essentially be trading off what time of year you can't much be outside and honestly, being outside in winter is alot more pleasant. Its easier to warm up than cool off, and if there is snow at least there is something to look at. I dunno, maybe the older I get the harder it is to take the wild temp extremes, but I find it easier to handle 30F and snow, than I do 104F with a heat index of 120 like we had a couple weeks ago. The more I think about it, the more I think I would love a climate like Seattle. That way I can have the best of both world in terms of gardening. I can grow my palms, and my conifers and mostly, BOTH will be happy! Besides the fact it is just simply stunningly beautiful out there. And, yes, palms grow there quite easily. In fact my first ever trip to Vancouver, BC, Canada back in 1998 or so is what got me started in growing palms in the first place. I was simply blown away by seeing palm trees all over the place in a city that far north, and in Canada. The temperate rainforests (Coniferous) out there in the PACNW are incredible too. If you've never been to HOH Rainforest, it is mind blowing how stunning it is!

• earthworm73
    12 years ago

novaplantguy, I have to admit the summers up here are not too bad at all despite the fact I am always complaining that it is not "hot enough". See I grew up in MD and VA so to me I prefer summers to be in the low-mid 80's. I think that is perfect palm growing temps - not too hot for cool temp lover like trachys and just enough heat for things like sabals and washingtonias. I have lived here for 20 years and I have never been to the penisular where Hoh is. Maybe one day. I would never want to live there as they are at least on avg. 10* cooler in summer and get almost twice the amount of rain that I do where I live in the state. We avg. like 34 inches per year and the penisular avg. like 55 inches per year! So come on up here and bring your palms and tropicals with you. I'll even help ya take care of them.