Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sick Monkey Puzzle tree

Posted by normana61 z10 fl (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 10:34

transplanted from two 10 gallon pots two monkey puzzles in the ground about six months ago. they were healthy but had brown spots and what looked like calcium deposits that could not be picked off.

since being potted in the ground a few other problems have arise. brown tips and the new growth has what seams like dried up tips. when researching these plants they cannot tolerate to much moisture. these are planted south facing humid sw florida.

should these be dug up and placed in a northern exposure or are they doomed because of the high heat and humidity. mid 90's and rain every afternoon, sub tropical climate.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sick Monkey Puzzle tree

Looks like sunburn to me.

o

Monkey puzzle trees don't like extreme heat. I would recomend moving it to the north side preferable with some shade.

o

I thought it could be sunburn, other areas the tips are bone dry, that should be live tissue, they were doing much better in the pots, they were right inline with the sprinkler system and were getting soaked every third day. I noticed allot of new growth then, it wasn't an issue of overwatering as the pots would just drain fast.

o

My small one looked the same this Summer, previous years it was fine! I tossed it out. Giving up on this plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here