Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Help with Sick Raphis Palm

Posted by anand_grow CA (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 17, 10 at 11:00

My Raphis Palm is looking pretty sick. Many of the leaves are crunchy and brown. The leaves are also closing up and becoming shrivelled.
But at the top, there are leaves that are doing fine so I know its not fully dead yet.
Any tips or idea? I have pictures if that might help someone.
THanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Help with Sick Raphis Palm

Yes, send some pictures. Usually these things pass once it is addressed.

I would also google what sort of climate and soil it likes - considering if it likes it dry or moist or full sun or part etc.. Lets see if someone here knows exactly what that palm likes.

o

yes happened to mine last year... this palm tree doesn't like full sun it is one of the best indoor palms in the world also loves tons of water! almost the soil always moist... that is your problem i think. hope your lady palm does better soon! -Justin in VB

o

Is is inside or outside. If its outside, it needs pretty much full shade and it cant go dry. Once it gets used to the sun, it can handle maybe partial sun, but it needs lots and lots of water. Its a great indoor plant, but make sure it gets a bright location and again, lots of water. A very good soaking once a week indoors should be good, but it should be watered every day outside if its warm outside.
Good luck!
-Alex

o

I agree with TZ, it sounds like a bad case of under watering. They are water lovers that can fail to show signs of insufficient watering until they collapse. Also, protect from excessive sun outdoors. This one needs a outside position more sheltered from strong sun, high heat, and drying winds (compared to many species). Mine once went went through this after a lapsed watering or two--it eventually recuperated.--Give it water and time.

o

• Posted by csf (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 24, 10 at 14:13

I have the same problem. Thought it was nematodes but I prefer this diagnosis. Have pictures but don't see an option to attach them.

o

water it and give it shade

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here