Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polarbear1975

Can a Canary Date Palm be grown indoors?

PolarBear1975
9 years ago

I have always loved all sorts of Palm trees and one day got the idea of germinating several different species from seed.
Most of my attempts failed except one Canary Date Palm, but being summer here in Utah it hasn't got much past 6" tall with two leafs.

I reported it into a larger pot and it sits in a south facing window with a good amount of filtered light. I fertalized it once with Miracle Grow.

The Palm is small and it looks great, no brown or yellowing but it does not seem to be growing, and at 1 year old is only 6" tall.
Any input is greatly appreciated!

Comments (5)

• User
    9 years ago

Patience, patience, patience! Canary Island palms are EASY from seed! I grew mine from seed and now they are all in tubs. Growth does increase in rate over the years btw. Then, the problem becomes what to do with them! This palm species is not big...it's MASSIVE! Another problem is that they are too sharp and potentially dangerous for indoors (as is the True Date). I used to see Canary for sale years ago...never anymore. My largest palm is one of the canariensis specimens. They go into a large, sunny, loft (used to be barn) garage that is maintained above freezing in Winter. This pic below, is the Pygmy Date. It is also big but less sharp and better for most homes...which is why it is frequently sold. If you wanna grow from seed Washingtonia is also fast, easy, and big (these do not come into my house either). Pindo/Butia is probably easy too (no experience with this one from seed), but it too is FAST and BIG. Good luck.

• PolarBear1975
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Njoasis! So once they start growing they go really fast?
    Will the size of the pot slow down its growth rate?

They are such a cool looking palm, if it will take off and grow i will be happy even if i end up getting rid of it! Lol
    Thanks again

• User
    9 years ago

Polar bear, I only have a handful of palms that get sooo big eventually that they get thrown out of the house...Phoenix, Washingtonia, Butias, and Tracycarpus. Sure, pot size will constrain their growth, as will a lack of optimal growing conditions...SUN, HEAT, FERTILIZER, and WATER (in the growing season). If you want something faster from seed, try Washingtonia Fan Palms (many of mine started from seed). I also suggested the feather palm Butia (they grow like weeds on steroids!). They are quite cold tolerant btw, so as long as get are freezing or above, they are fine in their Winter abode. Occasionally, they get top dragged out in midwinter to get hosed down, or I will cover their contains with snow to get some moisture, but they are largely dry, dry, dry, in Winter. I like them too, they don't seem to mind NJ's ridiculously high Summer humidity and rain, as do many Phoenix/Date palms. I see your palm is inside from your post. That us one reason you are seeing slower growth. They really are not indoor palms...
    They wanna be outside in the sun and other elements. Mine are out from about March 1 to early December. Adults are okay with some degree of frost and our growing season, even heat, tends to linger well through Autumn.

• PolarBear1975
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the great tips njoasis, i will definetly try the palms you recomended.
    Perhaps i should have rotated them outside this summer, i still have a good two months of warm weather left before i have to worry about cold temps.

Here in NE Utah its not uncommon for it to stay below 0 for many months and even as cold as 20-50 below 0.
    So i am definetly a beginner Palm tree hobbiest.

Right now i have several Cavendish Banana trees which are going crazy amazingly, my Canary Palm, Pony Tail Palm and also a Sago Palm which is flushing as i speak!

So far the only germination success ive had is the Canary Palm.
    I ordered a germination station off amazon thst im ready to try out once i get your sugestions

• User
    9 years ago

Meant to remind you, that most palm seed MUST be fresh in order to germinate...they do not store well at all! Also, most tropicals require bottom heat if you are germinating indoors. Outdoors, should not need it if your summers are warm to hot (day and night). Washys will germinate at room temp, but still fewer problems is supplied with some bottom heat (90-95 F.).

I had some Traveler Palm seeds (not a true. Palm) do nothing for me over the Winter, I tossed them into the compost pile outside, they germinated once the pile was warm enough in the Spring. Indoors, without that hot sun...nada.

P.S., was just doing some weeding the other day. What did I find growing in the sunny front...Date palm seedlings. I don't even remember tossing them out there. In the house in a pot, they probably would just have rotted.

This post was edited by njoasis on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 15:06

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting