Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trishmick

Impulse buy at local box store

trishmick
12 years ago

Always take a spin through any nursery at these places. Well, after purchasing what I went for, decided to get this oleander since I always wanted one, and the price seemed good...although, I know nothing about them. I know people on this forum have them. Blooms coming seem to be red. Cost was $12.50, less than small Majesties nearby. Overall height, over 4 ft. So...good deal, bad deal, or...no big deal.

Here are the emerging blooms.

Comments (5)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Good deal for sure! Mine cost 15 dollars and they were half the size of the one you got! I think thats a very good deal! The great things about oleanders is that when given full sun, they have no problem re-blooming every season!

• User
    12 years ago

Wonderful, flowering plants! I love them for summer color. They can be addicting. I have varieties in red, magenta/pink, and white. Very easy to grow. I have most of mine containerized and protect in my garage in Winter--where they exposed to cold conditions but not severe cold. This year, I planted one one on the south side of the house as an experiment. They like full sun and heat. I water rather heavily in the Summer and hardly at all in the Winter. Yours could probably use a bigger pot by the way. They can be propagated by stem cuttings if you want to make more plants. One word of caution--all parts are very poisonous if eaten (leaves, flowers, stems, etc.).

• islandbreeze
    12 years ago

Yeah, good deal for sure. Especially for the standard or tree form. Those cost more than the bush form. Lowe's had the tree form for $30. Oleanders are virtually a weed, can take a lot of abuse and still look and perform beautifully. In my experience, the red form seems hardier than the pink anyway. I have 4 of my own, pink, red, and salmon colored blooms. I store them in my unheated garage over winter, and they regrow new leaves and flowers readily every spring. They do require being cut back though, otherwise they get huge and leggy. Don't be afraid to hack them back. They're a nice compliment to palms for that tropical look, but keep an eye on pets and kids, they are poisonous.

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

I had one medium bushy oleander that didn't quite make it through our southern Delaware winter. I didn't protect it because I've seen larger woodier ones survive out winters unprotected. I may have dug it up prematurelyin the spring as I was told it probably would have grown up fro the roots.

So when I saw a nice one at the local Walmart for $10, I thought I'd try again. I'll wrap it it burglar at the very least to keep it from wind burn. Any other winter tips for oleander?

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I saw someone plant about 8 10 foot tall oleanders in their front yard here! They look beautiful and really give the Italian/Mediterranean look they were probably looking for, but I really hope they do make it through the winter. Im not sure of the names of the oleander, but the flowers were pink and yellow and one looked like a Double pink Oleander. Hopefully they bring them indoors, or the winter is mild enough to give them a fighting chance!
    -Alex