Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brooklyngreg

tiny insect killing palms in Florida

brooklyngreg
12 years ago

LAKELAND : A tiny insect that may have caught a ride to Central Florida from Texas is killing thousands of palm trees in the area.

A Phoenix palm tree planted along the side of Memorial Boulevard across from Lakeland Auto Mall in west Lakeland shows signs of planthopper infestation Wednesday.

MICHAEL WILSON : THE LEDGER A disease carried in the vomit of planthopper insects is what kills the palms. So far, what's called Texas Phoenix Palm Decline has impacted about 20 percent of the 7,826 palms owned by the city of Lakeland. The city's palms are worth about $7 million.

The planthopper, about the size of the head of a pin, first pierces a leaf on a palm and then vomits, spreading the disease. Enzymes in the vomit breakdown the cells in the leaf so the insect can suck them up for nutrition.

The palm decline is caused by a phytoplasma, a small bacteria.

Some of the affected palms can be seen at Joker Marchant Stadium and on Memorial Boulevard. There are several species of Phoenix palms, including the Sylvester palm, the edible date palm and the Canary Island date palm.

The disease has also started to kill the sabal palm, the Florida state tree.

Charlie Reynolds, a gardening columnist for The Ledger, said it's a frightening disease that could �damage the environment.

Sabal and Phoenix palms are used in landscaping at many Florida businesses, from Disney World to malls, he said.

"If we lost sabals, it would really screw up Florida's environment," Reynolds said. "A lot of creatures depend on the sabal."

EXPENSIVE TREATMENT

Brian Dick, assistant superintendent of parks for the city, said the palms can be treated with an antibiotic called Tree Saver.

But it's not a cure.

"Once a palm gets it, there is no recovery," Dick said.

He recently briefed city commissioners on the plight of palm trees and plants in the city. In addition to Texas Phoenix Palm Decline, an insect called the Asian cycad scale has killed king sago palms, and the chilli thrip infected roses and plumbagoes.

Also, an inch-long giant palm weevil has attacked the tall Washingtonia palms in Lakeland.

But it's the Texas Phoenix Palm Decline that has experts worried the most.

Dick said hundreds of Phoenix palms have been impacted by the disease.

Some of the 4,000 affected sabal palms will die because it is too costly and time consuming to treat them.

It costs $4 for the antibiotic to treat a tree, on top of $10 for the labor, Dick said, and a tree must be treated three times a year. The antibiotic used on the palms is oxytetracycline, a drug used to treat infections in humans. It can be found at www.palmtreesaver.com.

IDENTIFYING THE CULPRIT

What's unclear is the type of planthopper that is destroying the palms.

"We've got researchers working on it," said Monica Elliott, a professor of plant pathology at University of Florida's Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center.

Elliott said researchers do DNA testing on planthoppers to try to match the insect with the bacteria in the palm. She said there are three suspected planthoppers out of about 20 varieties.

The disease first kills the lower 25 percent of the palm. Leaves become discolored, quickly turning varying shades of reddish brown to dark brown or gray. Then the spear leaf at the top of the palm dies, killing the whole tree.

It takes three to six months for the tree to die if it is untreated.

The planthopper has spread to Sarasota, Pinellas, DeSoto, Manatee and Polk counties, she said. It made it to Lakeland at least two years ago.

Lakeland is about the furthest east the insect has traveled in Florida, she said.

The disease started in Mediterranean Europe, Reynolds said.

Against the advice of experts, palms were imported into McAllen, Texas, in the late 1970s. It wasn't until 2005 that Elliott said the insect somehow made it to Florida.

"We don't know how it got to Florida," Elliott said. "It could have hitched a ride on a ship."

[ John Chambliss can be reached at john.chambliss@theledger.com or 863-802-7588. ]

Planthoppers Carry Disease Affecting Lakeland TreesBy JOHN CHAMBLISS

Provided by University of Florida A disease carried in the vomit of planthopper insects, like the one above, can kill palm trees. The planthopper ...

August 29, 2011 8:11 AM

use only.

Comments (7)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sounds terrible. I hope they find a way of eradicating it. Im still waiting for a way to eradicate Mosquitoes. I guess growing Sabals around here might be easier than in FL in the future! I hope not!
    -Alex

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Alex,

lol..our mosquitoes are horrendous this year as well. How'd you survive Irene? I had some wind-driven rain water come into the house and do some water damage. Hopefully I sealed the right places yesterday.

I think this new insect is only attacking canary palms.

• chachacharlie
    12 years ago

WOW this is really bad news. Palms are so beautiful yet so so fragile. We have a similar problem here in SoCal with CIDP, they are dying all over L.A, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, San Diego, OC, because of Fusarium Wilt....it will be a sad day when SoCal has no palms. I hope palm deaths can be controlled here and in Florida! :(

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    12 years ago

Alex

I have a solution to your mosquitoes... Have a drought. Thats the one thing that has been a blessing from our drought is I havent seen 1 mosquito all summer

mike

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I didnt do too bad with Irene Greg. Unfortunately I still only have half my power in my house so its been 3 days of that and it will probably be 4-6 before they fix it (even though they were suppose to fix it by today). It might be a bit cooler outside, but without the AC, my house is pretty hot! Its 83F in my house right now, usually its 72F.

Mike, I would probably be willing to go through a drought if it meant getting rid of these mosquitoes for a while. We had a very hot and dry July here and the mosquitoes werent much of a problem because of it, but we have had a very wet August and now the Mosquitos are completely un avoidable. I have seen people with 10-15 mosquito bites after being outside for only 10 minutes. Its very bad! And usually I see mosquitos right into October, sometimes a few in November as well (not usually biting that late in the year though). As long as the plants are growing, the mosquitoes will be biting!

-Alex

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The mosquitos have been a big problem here too. For me however, I rather not a drought and just use mosquito repellant. Sorry to hear about the electric loss. During the cool mornings did you try open the front and back door for 30 minutes to vent it using screen doors?

PJack, the good news is that these pests only want to eat a certian palm variety.

• kinzyjr {Lakeland, FL - USDA: 9b, Record: 20F}
    12 years ago

This disease is basically a variant of lethal yellowing that attacks date palms. Some sabals are infected, but their wide range of genes means that it will probably not become an epidemic, as opposed to imported palms, that are largely from a few populations (date palms, etc). Most of our date palms are old grove palms, and have very similar genes. In spite of that, US-98 is literally lined with these palms, as is South Florida Ave. (our main drag).

Lethal yellowing has been present here for a while, and we still have, in my opinion, some of the most beautiful date palms in Florida. The planthopper (myndus crudus)is the same one that spreads lethal yellowing to coconut palms.

In regard to the Washingtonias being attacked by palm weevils, you can drive down Cleveland Heights, as I do every day after work, and literally see hundreds of them, along with a skyduster on Hallam.

The Tree Saver they mention is usually oxytetracycline, an anti-biotic.

They mention Asian Scale devastating Sago Palms, but almost every house on my street has at least one in their front yard.

I guess my point is that, while there are environmental threats to our trees, not all of them are dead or dying.

Date Palms are moderately susceptible to the disease, and the threat is amplified by the genetics of the population being so similar. None of mine have been bothered, but they are much different genetically from the plants on the avenues because they are grown from seed.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!