Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Robellini Palm - Can annual flowering be stopped?

Posted by BluetoothGolf none (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 11:26

I have 3 (15+ year) Robellini Palms next to a backyard pool. Every year they grow pods and sprout seeds that fall in the pool and clog the filter system. Is there any way to stop the annual flowering of seeds.....short of cutting the pods off as they grow and before they flower? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Robellini Palm - Can annual flowering be stopped?

hi
having a similar problem with Queens have noted that if I cut off the stalks they seem to produce more ,larger and more robust while those i let mature have smaller and less numbers ?? Will be watching your ansers as it sure would be nice to stop the mess?? gary

o

short of either hacking off the flowers as they appear, or killing the palm, I know of no way of stopping this... palms just trying to reproduce.... their most vital goal in life! Maybe you can dig up your palm and move it.

o

Near a pool?

You need to remove them or move them. They have matured to the point where they will drive you nuts. Starting with the typical #15, you get 7-8 years on a Robellini and 10-12 with a Queen.

Plant a cycad? Sago takes 50+ years to get to that point and are very sellable at that size.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here