Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalzone7_gw

Pics from my Trip to Bermuda! (lots of pics)

tropicalzone7
11 years ago

I just got back from Bermuda and I have to say it's an amazing island. The people there really are some of the friendliest I have met and even though Bermuda is slightly north of Savannah, GA, there is no shortage of Coconut Palms, Royal palms, Bottle palms, Spindle palms, and plumerias to name a few of the many tropicals that thrive on the island. And there wasnt a single Pindo palm or Trachy to be found.

As far as the coocnut palms go, they do not seem to fruit as well there as they do in the true tropics, but some trees were loaded with plenty of fruit (especially the ones away from the ocean) so I definitely think it's possible for Coconuts to make fruit in Bermuda.

The tallest trees there were royals, coconuts, and Norfolk Island pines, norfolk island pines definitely the tallest by FAR!

Here are a few pics I took around the island.

Here's a nice sabal grouping. They werent as common as I was expecting them to be, but there were some on the island.

A nice old Dragon Tree. And speaking of old trees, I did see a HUGE sago palm (at least 20 feet tall), but I wasnt able to get a pic of it.

Washingtonias were one of the most commonly planted palms and there were a few nice filiferas like the 2 in this pic

Here's a pic for those of you who like Golf. Bermuda has some beautiful golf courses, this pic doesnt do any of them justice. Also, an interesting fact is that Bermuda has the most golf courses in the world per sqaure mile, 9 golf courses total, 8 of them are 18 holes.

Sea grapes are very common trees and they can get very large in Bermuda. This is a medium sized sea grape tree.

View from a walking path right around sunset.

Wild chicken's are really common in Bermuda. I heard a lot of them during a morning walk. Tree frogs dominate the outdoor sounds at night though and can be heard anywhere in bermuda.

I thought this was a cool pic, taken in the Dockyard area of Bermuda

I wasnt expecting plumerias to be so commonly planted. Some of them were really beautiful shapes and colors.

Some nice coconut groves. They were lots of tall coconut palms around Bermuda, I wasnt expecting that.

Here are some pics of the Beaches around Bermuda. Definitely some of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen.

The water color was really incredible and so was the water clarity

Horseshoe bay

I tried to show the color of the sand in this pic...

Here are some of the royal palms around the islands

Some of them were really gigantic, like these 2

This row of royal palms were right outside of the crystal caves

These cuban royal palms were really robust looking.

Spindle palms were so common in Bermuda that after a while I stopped taking pics of them!

Huge solitare palm

A few flowers

Papayas were very common

Lots of nice sized date palms

Hibiscus were everywhere

I couldnt believe my eyes when I saw them, but yes, these are crape myrtles and not the tropical types either! If you lived in a frost free climate, would you still be growing crape myrtles?

The Norfolk Island pines (really Cook Pines) were giants!

The pritchardia's in Bermuda were too young to reach the heights of the beautiful specimens in islands like Hawaii, but Im happy that they were used to much in the Bermuda Landscape. They were a lot more common then Queen palms amazingly enough!

Dracaena marginata reaches tree like sizes in Bermuda

A small road that leads to a few homes by the harbor side.

Lots of large agaves in Bermuda, kind of interesting to see them paired up with a plumeria!

Another nice sized agave

Anyone know the ID of this tree? It looked pretty cool and I think I have seen them in California.

Here's the fruit that fell off the tree...

Stairs carved into a coral wall

A cool looking Agave. Don't know the species though.

Ducks resting in the shade of coconut palm fronds during the heat of the day.

There weren't many Queen Palms but there were a few and all of them looked very healthy. Here's one of the 5 Queen palm specimens I saw on my trip.

Some pics of the main city, Hamilton. Some shops start closing as early as 4:30pm there, most of them are closed for the night by 7!

Screw pines are one of my favorite tropicals because I think they look really interesting and have a beautiful shape to them that requires no pruning. Here's one of the MANY specimens I saw in Bermuda

Some nice allamanda's in Bermuda

This allamanda reminded me of the one in my yard except bigger and not in a planter!

Christmas palms are a good indicator of the tropics!

Here are some pics of the Crystal Caves in Bermuda. The caves were discovered in the early 1900's by 2 kids when they were playing ball. The ball got lost into a shrub and they ended up finding a small hole. They took a rope and a lantern and lowered themselves 160 feet into these caves. There are 100s more caves in Bermuda like this one that are underwater and will one day be exposed again during the next ice age!

The water in the caves was incredibly clear. Some spots of the caves were under 40 feet of water, but you could see the bottom as clear as can be!

Royal poinciana's were really common and some were very large even larger than the ones in the pics I took.

There were a lot of nice Banyan trees, some very large, but they were all deep in the forests so it was rare to actually see the beauty of their aireal roots. This is a pic of a relatively young Banyan tree.

Went to Gibbs Lighthouse. Beautiful views up there, but not great for those who are afraid of heights or for those who arent able to climb 185 spiral steps.

Long way down

Still could see plenty of palms from the top of the lighthouse!

Thanks for looking! If I could add some palms in Bermuda, I would definitely add Bismarkias and fishtail palms, both were nonexistent on the island.

-Alex

Comments (17)

• andyandy
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Alex-
    Greatr pics, thanx for sharing

• catkim
    11 years ago

Great pix, thanks for the tour! Those ocean photos make me want to catch a plane. :-)
    A row of big Roystonea is so stately and impressive! (thumbs up!)

• User
    11 years ago

Believe it or not, the only species of palms native to the islands, is Sabal bermudana--all others were introduced by humans. When I was in Bermuda, we were told what a labor-intensive feat it is to actually plant palms there due to poor, shallow soils but that no expense is too great because that's what the tourists expect to see.

Thanks for the pics, Bermuda does inspire dreams...if only in our backyards.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks andy, Catkim, and Njoasis!

Its amazing that Bermuda only has 1 native palm, but it's true! As for the difficulty in actually planting palms in Bermuda because of the soil, I didn't now that, but I definitely believe it! The islands are just like BIG rocks in the ocean!
    Southern Florida has a similar problem growing tropical fruit trees since the soil is very poor and sandy so when people want a really lush tropical garden, they have to get a lot of new topsoil to make it happen!
    -Alex

• User
    11 years ago

Sabal bermudana is actually a very nice palm (big, blue-gray leaves, robust and fairly cold hardy). I got mine on eBay a couple of years ago and it is doing well.

Yes, I knew that about S. Florida soils (also very alkaline). Similarly, S. Florida has relatively few native palms (Roystonea, Sabal palmetto, Seranoa repens, Paurotis, and a few others). People planted all the others.

• statenislandpalm7a
    11 years ago

Bermuda looks beautiful. Looks like you really enjoyed your vacation.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I like Sabal Bermudana, there were several in Bermuda (not as many as I actually expected!) and they had a really nice blue tint to the fronds. The crown is also much wider than Sabal Palmetto crowns. I hear they are slightly less cold tolerant than palmetto, but definitely a beautiful palm that should be tried a lot more in gardens that push the limits with palms!

Thanks Dennis! It was a really beautiful island and a great vacation! Definitely one of my favorite islands!

-Alex

• us_marine
    11 years ago

Nice pics! Now if only I could get my yard to look like that.lol

- US_Marine

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

That's a great photo-expose of Bermuda, looks like you had a great time clicking away at all the plants and scenery with your camera.

That tree in the photos (above the photo of the stairs carved into the coral wall) is a Calophyllum. They're slow growers but look really good when they get large.

I'm on holidays now and am travelling through lots of palm filled vistas. But I'm only taking photos in national parks, so getting the native things. I take so many photos it's difficult keeping up with cataloguing them. And if I don't catalogue them then they are too hard to find when wanting to show them to others.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Us Marine! I feel the same way! Would nice to have one of those bermuda style homes and a palm filled landscape to match!

Thanks tropicbreezent! Your definitely right on the ID! I had about 200 pics a day (and that was after I deleted all the similar pics and the ones I didnt like) so I ended up with near 1000 pics! It took a long time to sort through them all haha.
    Post some of your pics if you have the chance when you are finished with your trip!

Thanks for looking!
    -Alex

• chadec
    11 years ago

Im glad you didn't load all of your pics. My phone took forever to load those. But what a beautiful place. Love the clear water, very different from our green waters here. I really like that dragon tree and agaves. Can't really id that large one could be a couple of ssp. Most likely americana or franzosinii.

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

nice pics... nice spindle palms, too.. Araucaria columnaris, not heterophylla, though (Cook Pine, not Norfolk Island Pine). Agave franzosinii for sure. Great Pandanus... wish they would grow here in California that nice (some do well here, but never seen one like that).

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi ALex,

Loved all of the Pics!!

I am still in a state of awe..

Please send me to Bermuda!!!

Sounds like you had a wonderful time!!

How long were you there? Those beaches looked so nice and inviting, i was expecting more of a rocky area around the beaches..

Plumeria and Agaves.. Beautifuul!!

How are you and your trees doing?

Hope all is well!!!

Thanks for the great show.. I would love to visit Bermuda just from those pics.. : )

Laura

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Chadec! I have over 1000 pics so those would have taken forever to upload haha!
    Thanks lzrddr. Yup, you are definitely right on both ID's. Im very lazy since I always consider cook pines and norfolk island pines the same even though they are definitely different species! I always wanted to try Pandanus as a potted plant, I think they look really cool. Seems like they do best in humid climates.

Thanks for looking!
    -Alex

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Laura, sorry I missed your post, you posted just 1 minute before I made my post haha! The beaches in bermuda were definitely the nicest I have ever seen. There were plenty of large rocks around the beaches, but the sand itself was really soft and fine. The beaches around my area dont compare at all! Definitely one of my favorite vacations even though I was only there for 5 days.

My plumerias are doing really well. The cuttings you sent me are growing really well, the Scott Pratt is doing especially well, it put out a ton of growth this summer. The California sunset is doing well too, but I think I will give it more sun so it grows a little faster!
    My largest plumeria is approaching 13 feet tall (pot included) and is now the tallest tropical plant in my yard (even larger than the Adondila I bought!)so it's going to be a real challenge finding a place for that one inside. It has 3 inflos on it now but I can only take pictures of the blooms from my upstairs window! It's about a week or 2 away from blooming. Looks like it's going to have to get cut back next spring as much as I hate having to do that to my plumerias!

I havent posted too many pics of my plumerias this year because they all bloomed so well last year that this year there have been barely any blooms at all. My plumeria Divine put out 2 flowers from the inflo that it made indoors and it is just now starting to make another inflo. My Pretty Princess has always been a late one to bloom and it's inflo is still a good month away from blooming. I hope it blooms before it's too late! Hopefully it will be a warm fall and nmaybe next summer the plumerias will all have enough growth to bloom like crazy again.

I hope your plumerias and tropicals are all doing well!

-Alex

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    11 years ago

Thank you for the visit to Bermuda. Now, I feel safe that I have seen the entire island, that way, when I visit myself, I can just spend all my time on the beach with a pina colada in my hand or a beer or two in the cooler. Or both.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Haha, sounds like a good idea. I think I covered most of the island on my vacation, still a few things I didnt do or see (like the botanical gardens), but relaxing on the beach and exploring them was one of my favorite things to do on the vacation. It's a very relaxing island, I guess that goes for most tropical islands!
    -Alex