Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hardypalmfreak

Am I The Only One....?

HardyPalmFreak
12 years ago

Am I the only person who goes outside and "UNBENDS" windmill palm fronds?!?!

Comments (9)

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    12 years ago

What do you mean by "unbends"? Just curious. That said, I'm often messing with my palms in some ways. I try not to to much because I don't wanna kill em with kindness. =o)

• HardyPalmFreak
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You know how the fronds bend with the wind on a windmill palm? The leaves on the fronds bend with the slightest breeze and it annoys me so much hahaha. Guess I'm paranoid.

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

Maybe you have it in a windy spot?

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    12 years ago

Hmm. Mine gets quite a bit of wind and the fans on mine don't bend. They move and blow in the wind sure, but when its over they usually all go back to where they were. I suppose if one was out of place or something I would go out and fix it. Sometimes some of the fronds on my 7 foot tall pigmy date palm get tangled up because of wind and I do go and untangle them so it looks 'normal' again. haha. =o)

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

I know exactly what you mean Hardy
    Some of mine get bent by wind or the newest leaves
    rubbing against an old one or me just bumping them
    as I walk by,I always straighten the blades on the
    leaves when I see they are bent down,while they will
    still straighten(-:

Check out this picture,see the one little blade hanging down?
    Thats a candidate for being propped back up,I do it all
    the time on that one as I brush by it a lot and I do
    like the look of the stiffer more upright fronds....
    Good/funny question.(-;

• earthworm73
    12 years ago

Hardy I have to admit I do it too if I see it. (holding my head down)

• HardyPalmFreak
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is why though I love my windmills, I absolutely adore my waggie palms! Their fronds have no problem in the wind. :-)

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    12 years ago

OH, you meant each individual blades on each fan!!! Yeah, Ill do it, esp if its a new fan. Eventually though, the older fans the blade tips always hang down. I don't mind that look either tho. =o) So no, you are NOT the only one. hehe. Were all freaks! LOL!

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I put a garbage bin for protection over my windmill palms so the tips of the fronds often bend on mine. I unbend them every spring (even gone as far as putting tape on the botton of the leaflets!). Some trachys are stiffer than others (some naturally have leaflets that droop). I think I have 2 windmill palms that have stiffer fronds and one windmill palm that has droopier leaflets. I let it do its own thing at this point!