Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
any palm growers also banana experts?

Posted by islandbreeze (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 12:21

We all know that the banana forum is very slow, so please forgive me for asking a banana question here. I know many of us also grow basjoo. This doesn't look like a basjoo to me, yet comes back every year with protection, although not until about late May. Is it basjoo or something else?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: any palm growers also banana experts?

A pic of the pseudostem...a powdery white color, kind of like an ice cream.

o

My other basjoo look like this...

o

If I was going to guess by the look of it and what you say it is some type of orinaco..either tall or dwarf..there one of the hardiest fruiting bananas and being near the foundation helps alot as well..they make good fruit if it is so goodluck

o

Thanks for the response. If it is an Orinoco, it has come back each year after 6 winters in the ground. It comes up in late spring, but makes up for it with growth, outgrowing the rest of my perennial bananas every year. The leaves are much nicer, but the tallest it's reached in any year was 8 feet. It holds up to frost pretty well.

o

Here is an updated pic from today, the previous pics are from 2 weeks ago...

o

Hard to say what the ID is for sure. Definitely doesn't look like a basjoo to me, but whatever it is, it's a nice one!
Thanks for sharing.
-Alex

o

Thanks tropicalzone7.

Miketropic, after looking at the possibilities (pictures and descriptions), I think you're correct. I think it's a Dwarf Orinoco. Maybe I'll have to get my hands on a Tall Orinoco next year and try one as a perennial.

o

I was going to say Rajapuri but I think the trunk is to small.

Orinoco sounds right,I had some(don't know what kind)that fruited
every second year and had a similar leaf shape-try digging it up this year and storing it-if it is the same as the ones I had,you will have bananas next fall.

photo 8-22-10050.jpg

o

"" it-if it is the same as the ones I had,you will have bananas next fall""

if he has a long enough growing season and that being if they are Orinoco which they seem too be.
Ive had Orinoco go a few years without ever flowering or fruiting in mild summers in a cool z7a

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here