Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whats going on with my Sago

Posted by pcput 8a (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 12:31

My sago looks like a bald headed man, while my neighbors has a full head of hair. Is there something wrong with mine? If so what do I do about it? Thanks

photo mysago_zpsf04759df.jpg

photo sago_zpsb250e553.jpg

photo neighsago_zps09def245.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whats going on with my Sago

you have a female plant and it has made a cone. eventually it will tire of wasting the energy to do that, the cone will fall apart and a new head of leaves will appear... could take a year or two, though.

o

Thanks so much for the info,Izrddr. Hope I didn't insult her by calling her a bald headed man!

o

If there's any males around you might end up with seed.

o

That sago looks very happy and healthy.

o

tropicbreezent - How do you recognize a male? I've read the seeds are a problem. Toxic I think.

Islandbreeze - Thanks, I'm trying to learn to take care of it

o

That is a HUGE cluster. It looks like it did get pollinated from some male that could have been up to a half mile away from you. In a couple more months, you can look through the cluster and see orange seeds being produced that are already larger than a half inch round. If it produces seeds, the cluster will fall apart around Christmas time and then flush new leaves around April or May. Or, even though I am not suggesting this since your plant is looking so healthy, you can remove the cluster one sporaphyll at a time and fertilize it well and it will still flush new leaves this fall.

o

Thanks plantsman56! I'll let it be and see what happens. It's not the easiest thing to get in to. :)

o

Make sure to give it some good fertilizer all the way into spring. A cluster full of seeds can use up to 60% of the starch content of the stem while feeding those seeds. Fertilizing it with a strong fertilizer will help the plant gain strength and gain back that starch content, which of course is the secret to cycads, since everything they do relates to this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here