Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texastim65

Majesty Palm Root Question

TexasTim65
9 years ago

Hi,

I can't quite find the answer to this when searching the forums so I am asking it as a fresh question.

I've had my Majesty Palm for 8 years. The first 5 it lived in my office and thanks to a big window it did very well there reaching a height of around 7 ft. Then the last 3 it has lived outside year round on my balcony (I live in Florida) when I changed offices and had one with no window.

What's happened is that in the last 3 years my Palm has shrunk. It's now down to about 3 ft tall. The fronds are still nice and green thanks to Florida weather but each new successive frond batch is smaller in height.

I've attached a photo of the bottom of my palm. It appears that the roots have become very exposed.

My questions are:

1) Should I re-pot in same pot (I think it's a 16 inch pot now) only burying it deeper? Or does it need a bigger pot even though the plant is only 1/3 the height it used to be.

2) When you peel off old fronds, how far down to do you peel them? It seems to me that there is a lot of old brown frond on the outside and all new growth is in the middle and that's getting smaller in diameter all the time which may be why the plant is shorter and shorter. Is it good to peel the dead fronds really deep to the roots and how can I increase center the growth area of the plant so it gets larger/taller again.

Thanks,

Tim

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions