Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garyfla_gw

Bottle

garyfla_gw
10 years ago

Hi
had to show a pic of repotted bottle (FEB)
lantana is doing spectaularly lol gary

Comments (7)

• bae604
    10 years ago

Wow nice palm.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

That does look quite nice. Although, I'm not a fan of Bottles (maybe because I'm not a drinker, LOL). That Lantana is a good one, but the larger one is a nightmare and spreads so readily. Is that Thunbergia on the left? And on the right looks like Asparagus Fern.

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hi
    actually doesn't look too glorious as it was grown from seed and is 30 years old lol Should be 2/3 times that size .
    Terrible landscape plant as they tend to grow horizontal very slow and often don't develop the "bottle' lol
    i use the lantana to add a bit of interest and will tell me when to water. Had intended to use Dragons blood sedum
    but had the lantana lol
    The purple flowers to the left are "mexican petunia" That is asparagus fern to the right only thing left from the shadehouse and shed after Jeanne relandscaped lol
    The vine is a Queens wreath, Petrea volubilis purple form.. my favorite vine but needs serious work lol
    gary

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

Awesome bottle palm, its amazing that it has been able to survive it's entire life as a potted palm!
    The Lantanas compliment it nicely!
    Thanks for sharing.
    -Alex

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

My first thought was Mexican Poppy, Ruellia tuberosa, but then saw the flowers up high as well. Haven't seen it grow that high here. It's a weed here and I've been trying to get rid of it for years. Every time I think it's gone another one pops up somewhere. I have that Lantana as well. Also had the same in yellow but it 'disappeared'.

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi
    Definitely a ruelia terrificly invasive BUT love the viollet color and since I can't get rid of it I enjoy itl!! The white form croaks no matter what I do lol
    Lantana is also invasive but flowers all the time . have a variety called "rasberry swirl" that has purple and yellow
    heads Downright gaudy lol. if you removed all the "invasives from my garden there would only be a couple of plants left that asparagus fern was started from a piece less that two inches tall. Kind of like the looks of iit on the chain link except for the thorns and it constantly pops up among the orchids lol Originally there was a gigantic bougainvillea there that drew blood with every pruning lol gary

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

tropicalzone 7
    IMo potted is the only way to grow bottles
    they do well in pots, easy to protect from frost ,wind damage.provide shade full sun Best of all get much better development of the "bottle" and lasts longer.
    just think that after 30 years if it weren't in a pot you wouldn't be able to walk under it!!
    A housing addition not far from me used groups of 3 in front of arecas in front of royals edged by coconuts Only took up 500 feet of frontage Can't imagine what they spent or what it will look like after a heavy frost ,Cat 3 hurricane ?? but right now WOW lol gary