Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
musa saba/queen palm

Posted by islandbreeze 6b mi (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 13:15

This banana was sold to me as musa Saba, although I'm not quite sure that's what it is...red splotches on the leaves like juvenile dwarf Cavendish, but reddish tint on the pseudostem. The outside of the leaves is trimmed in red and the underside of the leaves is a powdery white. Can anybody confirm or deny that it's a Saba?
Also included a pic of my queen palm.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: musa saba/queen palm

Reddish pseudostem...

o

Powdery white underside of leaves...

o

And my queen palm, about 8.5 feet tall.

o

I am torn about the 'Saba'. Yours has the waxy, underside as does mine, but mine has no red markings like yours. Keep in mind, there ARE hybrids of different bananas. One of mine, for example is Musa zebrina x Grand Nain. Regarding your other post, you are right that banana is NOT Basjoo. But don't know what it is. Looks like one of mine though. Used to sell some with the name of Enano Gigante (dwarf giant). Shorter tree but big leaves. Not sure though.

o

Thanks. I figured it wasn't a basjoo, but it comes back every year, so I wasn't sure what else it could be. Now I just have to figure out what two bananas are instead of one LOL. I'll have to look into Enano Gigante. If I knew what the other banana was, it could open up more possibilities of hardy bananas for zones 6 and 7.

o

Cold hardiest are...

basjoo

Chinese Yellow (Lasiocarpa)--nice yellow flowers tat last a long time, 0 F.

Musa Sikkimensis (Himalayan)

Mekong Giant

Orinoco

o

I have Mekong Giant, which seems even more hardy for me than Basjoo. They're almost invasive for me, popping up in places where I don't want bananas. I've started to mix Mekong Giants in with my clumps of Basjoo. The Basjoo get going faster in the spring, but the Mekongs seem to respond better in the heat of summer.

o

Great looking queen palm. Your banana looks a lot like a Super Dwarf Cavendish. I can't say for sure, but it definitely has a lot of similar characteristics.
Glad to hear that Mekong Giants are so hardy. I definitely want to try one of them since basjoos have been weak growers for me.
Thanks for sharing!
-Alex

o

Alex- I agree with you, dwarf Cavendish was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the red on the leaves. If that is the case then I am not happy. The company I purchased it from sold it to me as Saba. When I received it, I emailed them about my concern/doubt that it was something else. I won't buy from that company again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here