• david_
    10 years ago

Prichardia maybe, but not sure.

• mountaingrown
    10 years ago

Florida Thatch ?

• fl west coast zone 10a
    10 years ago

I agree with David. It looks like my Prichardia (Fiji Fan palm) when I bought it about 3 1/2 years ago when it was
    smaller. Two months ago I planted it on the south side
    of the house and this is what it looks like a bit bigger..

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

I also think it looks like a Prichardia. Still too early to definitely say what species, but maybe someone will know for sure! Very nice palm Gardenbysarasota. They are beautiful palms, your's definitely looks like it will really be a beauty in a few years.
    I've always wanted to try these palms.
    Good luck!
    -Alex

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi
    was sold to me as kerriodoxa elegans ,White elephant palm.. Was badly damaged when it arrived and I almost sen it back thinking pritchardia lol. It does have the white back to the fronds and the upper divisions are tears .
    Don't know of any pritchardias with white backs??
    was raining when pic was taken and colors are distorted . Selaginella to left is bright blue normally lol
    fronds are much darker bluegreen. You can see a bit of the back at the top very white and velvety to the touch
    Still a bit suspicious "slow growing understory palm " has already grown a new frond and starting to unfurl.
    Time will tell I guess ?? Thanks gary

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Gary, bit difficult to tell from that photo if it's Kerriodoxa. If you say the undersides are white then it's not a Pritchardia, but most likely Kerriodoxa. Mine already had opened out fronds when I got it so don't know what the juvenile ones look like. But the petioles are black, undersides white and top sides green.

Gardenbysarasota, probably not a good move to put a Prichardia pacifica (Fijian Fan palm) in the ground in your climate. By end of winter it'll be gone. There are some hardier Prichardias from Hawaii which should survive in the ground there.

• david_
    10 years ago

It could be a Kerriodoxa if it has silver undersides. I could not see the undersides in the photo.

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi
    have been asking around and this is what I've got so far . Pritchardia Livistona florida thatch licuala Joey, and roystonea, geonoma lol kerriodoxa has NEVER been mentioned lol Only thing I'm certain of it's a fan type lol
    Tropicbreezent Do they normally grow fast?? It's already grown another frond which is starting to unfurl!!
    Considering it was badly damaged and repotted .
    Don't sound like no "slow growing understory palm" lol
    Will get a pic as soon as the new frond matures . Can already see the undersides are pale , Thanks gary

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

If it was very healthy and then had frond damage, new fronds would come quicker. The plant would be trying to get back to a maximum ASAP. And it's likely it has the reserves to do it. Once it opens out then things will slow down. Mine put out a new frond very fast early on, it had had some wind damage in the nursery.

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi
    The reason i kept it was because of the root system
    I think for 40 bucks should get an undamaged plant and correctly identified?? lol
    have wanted this type for a long time but are very hard to locate and expensive when you do. Thought of seed but was unable to locate ..My basic rule is 25 bucks for a single plant was 22 add shipping,taxes lol
    Usually when i shop i preorder and pick them up at the local shows Avoids shipping and get to see the plant before buying . Don't even follow my own rules?? lol Thanks gary

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Seed can be a real pain. You can go for ages but still scared to throw them out because they "might" still germinate. But when (if) they do, often they're very slow to grow. I have a friend who used to plant lots of seed but has given it up. She says it's more economic to just get the plants. Seeds often aren't cheap. There's a lot of care/attention needed to (maybe) get them germinated. And then all the care while they're a seedling.

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi
    I tend to agree with but unless you spend a lot of money you end up with a seedling anyway with no possibility of extras lol Was unable to find any seed and only know of two and they're immature . Understand they are male/female anyway??
    My longest was a J magnifica silver joey took 27 months and 4 more to develop a first frond!!. Took 9 for some ptychosperma elegans . Bismarks have passed 11 months and no sign BUT the seeds are still firm
    They wanted 250 bucks fro the WElephant and only had 4 fronds .was a beauty though!! With my budget seeds are the way to go though i did find this seedling lol
    Palm enthusiasts are rich, crazy but very very patient for sure ?? lol gary

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Palm enthusiasts (are) WERE rich, LOL.

They did have Kerriodoxa seed at rare palm seeds but are sold out now. And that is the problem with them having separate male and female plants, you have to wait a long time to see if you have at least one of each, hence the rarity. At the nursery I mostly go to they have one with about 3 metres of trunk. Looks most impressive. I'm surprised at the price they charge you there - $250! I got a 6 frond (2 of them a bit weather-beaten) for $60 which I thought was a bit steep, but then, I'm crazy anyway.

Got 10 seeds of Joey altifrons (would love to get magnifica, though). 2 germinated in about 2 weeks. The rest it's been 5 months and still no signs of germinating. Of those 2 one has a first juvenile frond, the other hasn't produced a frond. Bit worried it may have rotted, but the seed is still firm and anchored well in the soil. They're too root sensitive to start exploring under the soil. Patience!

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi
    think in your location you'd have very good luck with Joeys?? My silver is 16 years old and still under 3 feet!!
    have to keep it in the shadehouse as it's sensitive to everything . remember being awestruck by one at Fairchild gdns and HAD to have one. Should have been a clue that they were growing it in a GH in MIAMI lol
    I'm redoing my whole grow area and think I'll donate it to the local zoo. they have a fantastic indoor "rainforest"
    just maybe it will be happy there??
    here is a pic of a plant that I've hunted for years to find .
    See if anybody can identify it??lol gary

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    10 years ago

One other reason why I never awed the internet with seed grown plants..I usually only need one of something. That pretty much ends the incentive to grow seeds for years for one of something. And no,not enough exceptions for what's that rare. Just me.

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi
    probably if I wasn't surrounded with different types of palm seeds I wouldn't do it either.lol . I have bought a few
    but had very poor luck with them.. Since "cuttings" don't work very limited choices
    Usually i can sell, trade any extras and if you have only one what happens when a squirrel digs chews it up.??lol
    Besides i'd miss the thrill of watching the germination ??
    gary

• david_
    10 years ago

Gary if your palm is a Kerriodoxa elegans, then I doubt it will grow fast here. I have grown two in the last ten years and both were slower than molasses.

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi
    that's what I've always heard The new frond has already started to unfurl but not entirely it is going to be serrated and does have a white back. Will post a pic when new frond and petiole can be seen . This seems rather fast even for a fast grower ?? lol Have you ever seen seedlings of these?? thanks gary