Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erikbearsfan

Foxtail Palm problems

erikbearsfan
10 years ago

Hello, I am having problems with my palm. I've had it about 4 years and my parents had it in a pot before that. I'm not sure how long. It's looking really bad. We have had a wet rainy season but I have no idea whats happening. I've attached some pictures.

Comments (7)

• erikbearsfan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another pic.

• erikbearsfan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One More.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

It could be from the wet, maybe poor drainage. The splits at the bottom of the trunk shouldn't be a problem. That happens with a lot of palms, Foxtails included.

• erikbearsfan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ya I think you're right. It's in the area between my garage and sidewalk. I think the house and sidewalk probably trap water. Hopefully it will survive the rainy season.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Any chance of fixing the drainage situation? If the tree gets weakened it makes it more susceptible to any other problems that might eventuate.

• david_
    10 years ago

Mine looked similar to that and it was iron deficiency. Not sure about the trunk looking like that. To me I actually found them not worth growing here in south central Florida for of several reasons.

• erikbearsfan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Honestly I don't think I can help the drainage in this spot. Where I live the fill dirt they use to elevate the lots is garbage. I may contact my local extension office and see what they think. If it's a drainage issue I will most likely let it run it's course and if it dies replace it with something that likes soggy dirt.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville